Self Portrait

jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited June 11, 2008 in People
Simple question: Is the PP of this photo too much?

Obviously it is a harsh look but that is what I was attempting. I must be narcissistic because I find I cannot stop looking at this image. The problem is I can't decide if I like it. One moment I love it, the next I hate it.

310974049_cs9V9-L.jpg
Click the image to see other finishes and the original.

Comments

• VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Too much PP? I dont know, Do I enjoying the photo? Definetely yes, it's a great capture for me
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Why the crop? Artistic license?

Cheers.
  • LUCKYSHOTLUCKYSHOT Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I like the shot, after checking out the originals it is hard to believe how much emotion a little PP can bring out, you go from normal guy to seriel killer in a few clicks.
    nice capture
    Chris
    No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
    :whip

WWW.LONGISLANDIMAGE.COM
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    davidweaver:
    Yeah. Pretty much. I took a few shots of my face with various framing and I decided I like this one the best. The shots with my full face just didn't feel right for this image.

LUCKYSHOT:
    I agree the PP completely changes the feeling of the image.

Vanquiz:
    Thanks. I think there is too much PP (or too obvious of PP) but right now I'm in the loving it camp.
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Sorry, to be honest it didn't work for me. Not sure why the weird cropping, its neither here nor there.

i know you are asking for something else but to me once the composition is doubtful, no matter how nice the coloration is, it tends to degrade the pciture.

Sorry again but its just my opinion.
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Don't apologize david-low. There is nothing to be sorry about if you don't like it. I think people try to be too nice on these forums. If you don't like it feel free to trash it. Whether we agree or not criticism can only lead to better pictures.

Seeing as this is my own face, I don't even really notice the crop. I think my brain fills in the missing part. I wonder if I would notice it more if it was a face I didn't see often.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    The only thing I would change is some dynamic expression on your face. I have the same problem. The problem is I'm a photographer and not a model. rolleyes1.gif I would like to see a smile. A smirk, a grin. Something mischeivious because of the crop. You're whole other side is hidden and it makes me curious. Give me reason to suspect. Right now you're just staring at me and we can go on for hours with the "what?" "what?" conversation.
    I feel the picture just ends without saying anything. If you were to be looking off to the side or something... then it might add?
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I like it clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Simple answer...No

more involved answer I love the PP it works the crop not so much, I would also try and clear up the eyes I mean the murkiness on the right eye(frame left). with the processing a cleaner area in there would look better IMO

Also...related to the narcissist comment, I love taking pictures of myself... I'm the only one I know that doesn't (at some point) get tired of me taking pictures of them.