Options

Suggestions ideas etc all welcome

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

First post to the Whipping Post...
This is a shot I took on holidays in London at Xmas.

DSC_4374_camerajpg.JPG
EXIF: 1/3, f3.8, 22mm, ISO800 (how do I ensure you can get exif info from pic??)

It suffers from a lot of things, including:
1) it was taken a night (obviously) but hand held no tripod
2) high ISO so lots of night sky noise
3) it was kind of bland - nothing striking
4) <insert you favorite problem here :wink >

I'm really try to learn Lightroom better and thought I'd try to make something interesting out of the photo. In the end I used some presets I found from Lightroom Killer Tips.

Maybe this is better in Finishing Post - but I was wondering what I could have done to make the photo better in the first place.
Moderator - feel free to move this if you feel it would be better in Finishing Post.

DSC_4374.jpg

I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are on what else I could have done, although I know a tripod and lower iso would have helped. It was a case of get the shot how you could at the time.

Thanks for all interesting input.

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Moderator - feel free to move this if you feel it would be better in Finishing Post.
    Done
  • Options
    Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I like what you've done, but maybe next time try and fix the distorion from the wide angle and look in the skies to make sure there's nothing flying around to be a distraction ;)

Good edit:D
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone,

First post to the Whipping Post...
    This is a shot I took on holidays in London at Xmas.
    <insert you="" favorite="" problem="" here="">
    I'm really try to learn Lightroom better and thought I'd try to make something interesting out of the photo. In the end I used some presets I found from Lightroom Killer Tips.
    Frankly, I like the original better.

The modified pic has a noticable green cast, which looks odd to my eye. The moon is unreal. The sky noise is much more noticable. And the buildings on the lower right look garish. The water on the left (but not on the right) is arguably better.

Or, being from Down Under, are the shots reversed? In which case invert my comments.

I don't use Lightroom, so I can't offer practical advice on its use.
    </insert>
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    This better?
    I tried to get a bit more noise out of the sky and removed that plane - I'm learning Lightroom and getting better each day (not hard as I've only just started)

This one is not using any presets - but just my playing around learning and trying to get a better shot - I avoided the "overly green" preset

DSC_4374-take2.jpg

Better?

Thanks, Jase
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:
    I like what you've done, but maybe next time try and fix the distorion from the wide angle and look in the skies to make sure there's nothing flying around to be a distraction ;)

Good edit:D

How to fix the distortion - actually where and how to see it first ;)
    On a big learning curve at the moment

I did play around with removing some of the vignetting from the image in my last post with the (hopefully) improved image.

I know it's never going to be brilliant but it's more of how good I can get it by using the features of Lightroom.

Thanks for the comments
    Jase
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    jjbong wrote:
    Frankly, I like the original better.

The modified pic has a noticable green cast, which looks odd to my eye. The moon is unreal. The sky noise is much more noticable. And the buildings on the lower right look garish. The water on the left (but not on the right) is arguably better.

Or, being from Down Under, are the shots reversed? In which case invert my comments.

I don't use Lightroom, so I can't offer practical advice on its use.
    </insert>

I took your comments and tried to rework it avoiding that preset which resulted in teh green tinge all over - think the new one is better....

Thanks for the comments
    Jase