Crazy Minnesota weather

t3sk3yt3sk3y Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited June 13, 2008 in Landscapes
Hey all..

I know this is actually *skyscape* rather than landscape, but since there isn't a weather forum, this is probably the next best thing..

We've had some really crazy weather in the midwest over the past couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time with my camera for some of it.

The first two shots were taken in Albert Lea, MN on Saturday, June 7th. They are of some rare Cumulo Mammatus clouds right at sunset. I was just leaving my brother's wedding and noticed that a really strange orange glow was coming from outside the church. I ran outside with my camera and saw the most spectacular cloud formations I've ever seen. These usually accompany very severe weather - and there were tornadoes only 10 miles away earlier that afternoon.

309846883_Lm4R9-M.jpg

The view overhead:
309846282_7KEjn-M.jpg

This next picture was taken on Saturday, May 31st just south of Montgomery, MN. Again, many hailstorms and tornadoes in the area. With the setting sun in the frame, HDR was really my only salvation. I like how it turned out!

306907631_97Z4p-M.jpg

I had about 30 seconds to get the shot before the huge raindrops moved in. On a scary side note with a happy ending - as I dashed to the car to get out of the rain, my 40D with the Canon 10-22 tumbled off my tripod because I hit the quick release. Fortunately, it fell on the CF card door in gravel so nothing was hurt but my pride.

Enjoy!
-Mark.

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks for posting! I have never seen anything like this before!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Oh my....I call those cotton ball clouds :D but they are scary since you know there is a lot of turbulance in those buggers with a storm very close.

Very nice capture of them thumb.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Hope you guys are staying safe! The rivers are attacking the streets here in Des Moines! Very nice pic of the farm. Reminds me of home. I like all the lines drawing your eyes to the small strip of yellow light lower middle. Very crazy clouds, indeed!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    They are seriously great weather photos ! We get those formations here quite often in summer.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    t3sk3y wrote:
    Hey all..

I know this is actually *skyscape* rather than landscape, but since there isn't a weather forum, this is probably the next best thing..

These are great Mark- I have never seen anything like this before. Still can't believe it is real. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    That's some funky sky.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Extra ordinary!!! I like that drama in color and cloud. thumb.gif

t3sk3y wrote:
    Hey all..

We've had some really crazy weather in the midwest over the past couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time with my camera for some of it.

The first two shots were taken in Albert Lea, MN on Saturday, June 7th. They are of some rare Cumulo Mammatus clouds right at sunset. I was just leaving my brother's wedding and noticed that a really strange orange glow was coming from outside the church. I ran outside with my camera and saw the most spectacular cloud formations I've ever seen. These usually accompany very severe weather - and there were tornadoes only 10 miles away earlier that afternoon.

The view overhead:

This next picture was taken on Saturday, May 31st just south of Montgomery, MN. Again, many hailstorms and tornadoes in the area. With the setting sun in the frame, HDR was really my only salvation. I like how it turned out!

I had about 30 seconds to get the shot before the huge raindrops moved in. On a scary side note with a happy ending - as I dashed to the car to get out of the rain, my 40D with the Canon 10-22 tumbled off my tripod because I hit the quick release. Fortunately, it fell on the CF card door in gravel so nothing was hurt but my pride.

Enjoy!
    -Mark.
    edited June 11, 2008
    bowdown.gif WOW! Fantastic formations and great captures! Nature did her job but you did yours as well. Thanks for sharing some really unique views.
  • jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Greattttt shots... clap.gifthumb.
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Wow!:jawdrop

Those clouds are unreal! I've never seen any clouds that looked like that before, you did a great job capturing them too.

I've had a camera fall off of a tripod before too (the lens broke the fall, and the fall broke the lens) :cry Pride comes cheap, camera lenses, not so much!
  • t3sk3yt3sk3y Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2008
    Thanks a lot, all...

It was a very lucky catch - It's been years since the last time I've seen Mammatus clouds, and it was double lucky that I had my camera with me.

A friend of mine that's a fine art landscape photographer told me that he has friends that do weather photography full-time that spend entire spring/summers driving around them Midwest without seeing any.

-Mark.