Options

Converting duotones to JPEGs for Smugmug

Pete291Pete291 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Technique
Hello

Photoshop does not allow saving a duotone as a JPEG, so I tried pasting a screen copy of the duotone to a new file to be saved as a JPEG.

Problem is, the resolution is lousy because the screen resolution is used, not the real photo resolution.

Can anybody think of a technique to get a duotone into JPEG format for a Smugmug gallery? Am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Pete291

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Convert to 8bit mode and you can save as a JPG deal.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Convert to RGB and save as (keeping the original). The RGB will save as JPEG.

You could also try using the Lightroom uploader, which would make a jpeg on the fly (although I've never tried it with a duotone).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 11, 2008
    You need to do both: RGB and 8 bit, then save as JPG.

Edit: I just realized that in PS, you would have to be in 8 bit mode to have gotten as far as the duotone. You have to convert to 8 bit before switching to grayscale, and you have to be in grayscale before you can switch to duotone.
  • Options
    Pete291Pete291 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    You need to do both: RGB and 8 bit, then save as JPG.

Edit: I just realized that in PS, you would have to be in 8 bit mode to have gotten as far as the duotone. You have to convert to 8 bit before switching to grayscale, and you have to be in grayscale before you can switch to duotone.

Hi everybody, it came to me in a flash to convert the duotone back to RGB, then I read your posts. Lesson: forget a problem for a while and an obvious solution might come.

Thanks.

Pete291