Options

Monopod question

KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in Accessories
Does anyone have any experience with this one or with the retractable legs? Would this work OK on days that it extremely windy? Do you need anything else with it?

SELF-STANDING PRO MONOPOD / Cat. No: 682B
All the features of the 681B Professional Monopod with the handy addition of three retractable legs. The 682 is a black anodized aluminum three-section monopod featuring sure rubber grip, wrist carrying strap, quick action lever leg lock system with 45° flip, large 2.3" camera/head platform with plastic cover and dual 1/4-20" - 3/8" camera screw.

(Replaces the 3231 monopod)

transparency.gif
transparency.gif
SPECIFICATIONS
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Material[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Black Anodized Aluminum[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Still Photography[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Yes[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Maximum Height[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]67.7 inches[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Minimum Height[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]29.1 inches[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Leg Sections[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]3[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Foot Type[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Rubber[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Maximum Load Capacity[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]26.4 Ibs[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]Weight[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]2.4 lbs[/font]
transparency.gif
[font=Arial,helvetica]List Price: US $ 131.00[/font]

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    They forgot to put my retractable legs in, and I never followed through. I love the monopod. Wind or no wind. It is much easier to carry with the camera than the tri-pod. Mine is a Manfrotti, about the same price as that one. It is easy to raise and lower the leg. I have a good head on it, came with it. And I have two of those things to attach to the camera and/or the lens for quick release. I wouldn't have it without quick release.

I would tell you more about it, but it is in the car.
    I can not imagine what I would use those little legs for. I mean I have had it a month or two and I have never thought, "I wish I had those little leg things".

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    I've been using a Monopod more and more lately, no matter shutter speed :D
    I use it like a rifle stock and rest it on my shoulder, with a ball head attached I can rotate and pan pretty easily and stedy. :D

Don't know what I'd do with little legs, think I might just get a real tripod when that's called for :D JMHO though
  • Options
    lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Hi. Can you tell me a little more what a monopod is used for. i've used a tripod before but it's bulky to carry from place to place when a camera iss attached. How much support does a monopod offer and in what applications would you use it in?
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    lukiedukie wrote:
    Hi. Can you tell me a little more what a monopod is used for. i've used a tripod before but it's bulky to carry from place to place when a camera iss attached. How much support does a monopod offer and in what applications would you use it in?
    Mono (one). A monopod looks like a walking stick, with a ball head or simple tripod screw on top. Used by many sport, wildlife, etc. photog. Offers extra support, but not hands free operation like a tripod. Hope that helps?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    lukiedukie wrote:
    A monopod is primarily used to help in the handling of weight from a combination of long heavy lens + big slr body. They will steady this weight in your hands, but by no means will they steady the camera enough to shoot a low shutter speeds. Too many newbies buy a monopod as a cheap alternative to a tripod for taking low light shots, slow shutterspeed shots, etc. No no no. They are for big lenses, and thats about it. Here's an easy test, if you can hold all of your lenses up to your eye (mounted to the camera of course) with one hand, you don't need a monopod. I take mine everywhere, but then again, my 300mm lens hasn't left my camera very much lately.
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience with this one or with the retractable legs? Would this work OK on days that it extremely windy? Do you need anything else with it?

[font=Arial,helvetica][/font]
    You're qeustion scares me. Please don't ever think that you will be able to put a camera on this monopod and let it stand alone!!! The thing barely stands on its own on those tiny little legs without a camera - I've checked it out in a store, and really, its not very stable. Its not a tripod substitute, not even a flimsy one. The guy at the store basically said it just offers a little more stability, ie, gives you feelers to know if you're tipping or what not.
    Erik

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A monopod is primarily used to help in the handling of weight from a combination of long heavy lens + big slr body. They will steady this weight in your hands, but by no means will they steady the camera enough to shoot a low shutter speeds. Too many newbies buy a monopod as a cheap alternative to a tripod for taking low light shots, slow shutterspeed shots, etc. No no no. They are for big lenses, and thats about it. Here's an easy test, if you can hold all of your lenses up to your eye (mounted to the camera of course) with one hand, you don't need a monopod. I take mine everywhere, but then again, my 300mm lens hasn't left my camera very much lately.
    :D
    One more use for a monopod - panning a moving object. Even if the lens isn't a heavy one. The monopod helps me keep my pan "level".

3966796-M.jpg

I also use one for "theater type" of events. Sure I have a few shots where a tripod may have been more stable but overall the convenience outweighs a couple of lost shots. Still, I agree with your message to a new shooter who may feel a monopod is the answer to every need.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    This was the answer I was looking for, thanks.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You're qeustion scares me. Please don't ever think that you will be able to put a camera on this monopod and let it stand alone!!! The thing barely stands on its own on those tiny little legs without a camera - I've checked it out in a store, and really, its not very stable. Its not a tripod substitute, not even a flimsy one. The guy at the store basically said it just offers a little more stability, ie, gives you feelers to know if you're tipping or what not.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    This was the answer I was looking for, thanks.
    glad I could help thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Good answers, Doctor. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Doc...im looking to buy one. With the 300mm is it best to get 'ball head' or the normal screw type ?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Doc...im looking to buy one. With the 300mm is it best to get 'ball head' or the normal screw type ?
    In my opinion, a ball head on a monopod is a waste of money. However, I do think a basic tilt head is a great addition to a monopod for 2 reasons. It gives you the ability, obviously, to tilt a little bit while panning (good), but more importantly for me was the addition of a quick release plate.

I have this one screwed on to my monopod. It's a pretty cheap addition, if for nothing other than the convenience of QR. The QR plate, btw, is actually quite small, and rectangular, and almost exactly the size of the foot on the Sigma tripod collar. So it looks really svelte. It stays on that lens all the time. I'll buy another plate when/if I get another lens. Its especially neat if you have a Bogen tripod too, same QR plates. :D

5491.jpg

Bogen / Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release - Supports 6.00 lb (2.72 kg) shim.gif Mfr# 3229 • B&H# BO3229
    shim.gifshim.gif Our Price: $ 29.95
    Erik

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Erik, et al, I think that is what I have. I know the quick release thing is. I have three of them.

As I said, one on the camera and one on my lens.

I guess the remark re long lenses is pretty accurate, I have only used it when I have my 300 on it, with the extender to 420. I did use it once with my wide angle. IMHO, it saved my ass.

I was at church to take baptism photos. Had not brought my "other" flash, was relying on the on camera flash. It would not, still won't, pop up.

I used the monopod and my 17-40 L lens. Maybe I didn't need it, but it sure made me feel better. I have blurred too many shots just using hand held at the baptisms a year or so ago. Yes, I handhold in the church, but I only expect 1 out of 10 or so to come out. I need better than that with a posed family. (I wonder how it would work for candids at a church reception, smile)

The monopod is easy to carry, so I have it with me. No problem walking around with it, etc. I got good photos, am wondering if I should do it again.

But I guess the main use would be for the long lenses.

Don't forget the quick release. Don't get just a screw on. That quick release really holds it, though I do try to hold the camera with the strap around my neck for camera safety.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    thanks all. I think i'm going to get one. I took some pictures at my friends wedding. I was up in the balcony and used my zoom lense. With the flash, the body and the lense the camera was heavy and my hands were shaking. When i downloaded the pictures to my computer they were aweful. from what you guys are saying i think a monopod would have worked great in that situation to prevent the shaking of my hands. thanks againthumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    You don't need a ball head. If anything, a one axis head is plenty.
    I don't use a head and I haven't found myself wanting one.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?