Eskdalemuir Hills of Scotland

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in Landscapes
Here are a few shots of the Eskdalemuir hills which are about 8 miles from where I live in Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland. I am still learning this game so your C & C will be more than welcome as I am wanting to improve my shots especially landscapes. I used a 40D and a 17-85mm and possibly I used a 70-200L as I took quite a lot of shots.
Regards
Bob

311480487_jwBCS-L.jpg
311480601_5hty4-L.jpg
311480725_6A4ux-L.jpg
311480830_djfAx-L.jpg
311480952_C6ZPK-L.jpg
311481064_duE5m-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Beautiful country. I especially like the last one, without the road. My suggestion would be to shoot two exposures, one for the land and one for the sky, and blend them (if you have software that allows you to do so.) That way, you can put some interesting detail into the sky. I envy you your locale, very nice!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    As is...the fourth and fifth one are my choice! Beautiful country. I like a bit more saturation for my taste...but these are really fine!

Eia
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    wxwax wrote:
    Beautiful country. I especially like the last one, without the road. My suggestion would be to shoot two exposures, one for the land and one for the sky, and blend them (if you have software that allows you to do so.) That way, you can put some interesting detail into the sky. I envy you your locale, very nice!

Hi Sid
    As you know I am new at this. I use Photoshop CS3 so when you say blend them together. Mmm how would I go about doing that. As you have guessed I shoot in RAW, and that allows me to manouvre a wee bit.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited June 11, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    As is...the fourth and fifth one are my choice! Beautiful country. I like a bit more saturation for my taste...but these are really fine!

Eia

Thanks Eia,
    I will certainly look at the saturation the next time. I really do appreciate your comments and thank you.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks Eia,
    I will certainly look at the saturation the next time. I really do appreciate your comments and thank you.
    Regards
    Bob
    Hey Bob

After having just returned from the Isle of Mull, I really can apprecieate these images and your turf. Regarding blending two exposures, I recommend first shooting with the histogram visible in the preview at all times. The histogram will give you the info you need to determine if you need to blend two exposures or not. Basically, if the mountain of data visible in the histogram pertrudes both sides of the graph then two exposures may be needed. Shooting with a histogram is the only method I have used once I went digital and left the light meter in the safe with the film cameraswings.gif Keep shooting those luscious green Scotland landscapesthumb.gif
    edited June 12, 2008
    Hey Bob

After having just returned from the Isle of Mull, I really can apprecieate these images and your turf. Regarding blending two exposures, I recommend first shooting with the histogram visible in the preview at all times. The histogram will give you the info you need to determine if you need to blend two exposures or not. Basically, if the mountain of data visible in the histogram pertrudes both sides of the graph then two exposures may be needed. Shooting with a histogram is the only method I have used once I went digital and left the light meter in the safe with the film cameraswings.gif Keep shooting those luscious green Scotland landscapesthumb.gif

Hi Muench
    Thanks ever so much for the information on how to blend two exposures, I will certainly try this. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Isle of Mull with Andy and his team and as you know you are always welcome here in Scotland.
    Regards
    Bob
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I want to visit. What a beautiful place and look at all the hand built bridges and fences. Such handiwork and such an eye for capturing! Wonderful colour and space.
    edited June 12, 2008
    I want to visit. What a beautiful place and look at all the hand built bridges and fences. Such handiwork and such an eye for capturing! Wonderful colour and space.

Thanks for looking and it would be a real pleasure to see you here.
    Regards
    Bob