Challenge 2.2 attempts

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
:whew Finally got a chance this evening to step out and take some photos for this challenge.

Do any of these fit the bill? :scratch

#1 Mill Window
311579570_kzWu7-L.jpg

#2 Reflected Mills (an attempt on fluid and geometric)

311579509_ne5fm-L.jpg

#3 Untitled (was thinking "fluid" for this one but haven't come up with a caption yet)
311579467_mJLWb-XL.jpg

#4 Steel Girder Tunnel

311579420_2nxKo-L.jpg

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    #1 Mill Window

I like this one the most. The rest are nice but not unusual. Maybe a little PP? Punch up the reds? Also I can't tell if that's noise or texture lol =c)

Neat shot
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    #1 is nice but it looks a bit grainy.

#2 I agree with Pyro that you need to spice this up a bit to make it unique.

The ducks are a pass for me but you have lots of other nice options.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    Number one is grainy, which is the first thing I noticed, after looking at the image again I like the building itself, especially the window and the angle you got the stairs, I'm not sold on the placement of the window for the shot, I wouldn't go centered but since it's not off to one side or the other. It's in this middle ground. Personally, just a tiny bit maybe to the right.

The biggest thing though for this image, is it needs more contrast, perhaps more dynamic light. It's very flat, minus the border around the window, so that is what the viewer is going to look at which is distracting from the stairs which should be the centerpiece. Actually completely missed them in the first time I looked over the images and only one I actually look closely to critique did they come out.
    Number two fulfills the challenge but that's about it

Number three, I like the image itself, It's pleasing to the eyes but again nothing to really stand out.

Now with number four, I think you have the most promise, not in this particular image. But in the location. You have the steel grate of the road and then the erector set style bridge in hard steel which can be offset by the organic nature of the forest behind.

Just go around here if you can (hopefully there isn't much traffic) look at the bridge, look around it from all angles and all levels that you can. I'm sure there's enough there are whole entire series of unique images just waiting to be captured.
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Linda,

My instant reaction to seeing your post was "now I know I don't stand a chance!" Then when I opened up the thread I said "I told you so".bowdown.gif

I the shots 1,2 & 4 as they all have impact, number 3 is kind of "two ducks just swimming along" kind of picture and doesn't grab.

#4 is the strongest visually in terms of shapes, but I like #1 the most, because of it's simplicity and it evokes many questions, like where do the stairs lead?, who lives their?, what's just out side of the photo?, etc etc. That said I wish it were a bit more warmer or more saturated in colour.

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Thank you all SO much for your feedback!

The particular side of the mill that I photographed faces west and I was hoping to get more dramatic lighting, but got there too late. :cry It's close enough to where I live that I can easily head back and reshoot.

Looks like I still need to "play" a bit! mwink.gif
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I especially like #4, I think it might look better from a more centered position looking into the bridge. Just my opinion FWIW.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I like 1 and 4. Glad I don't have to be the one picking the final entry. If you would shoot only one good shot, it would make it a lot easier! :D Well done and congrats on some great photos.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    If you get #1's reflected in a way of #2 and put the reflection under #4 - you'll get yourself a winner:-)
    Great shooting! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"