Options

Red Saturation with Mark III

yobophotoyobophoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 12, 2008 in Technique
Attachment not found.A group photo I took on a ball field (in day light) with the team wearing red shirts has a red saturation, I have no idea what has caused this. The photo is underexposed, but I am not sure that would account for the saturation. This photo was shot in jpg, with a Mark III and can be found at www.yobophoto.com under sports, PAC Wide, Day 2...

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Let's see it - it'll make it much easier to provide comment. A link to of copy of the EXIF would be most helpful as well.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Let's see it - it'll make it much easier to provide comment. A link to of copy of the EXIF would be most helpful as well.

15524779-Ti.gif Also, were you shooting in RAW or JPG? I would find it strange that an underexposed RAW file is over-saturated, though bright reds can be a problem.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Thanks for posting the pic. The red is certainly saturated, but it doesn't appear to be clipped. Since you are shooting in JPG, you can control the level of saturation on the camera itself. I'm not familiar with the MkIII, but I'm sure it's in the menu somewhere. Unless you have some specific reason for shooting in JPG, I would suggest that you shoot in RAW instead. That will allow you to control color and exposure issues better in post. As for this shot, it shouldn't be too difficult to desaturate the reds a bit in Photoshop.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    I think this kind of shot, is one the Saturation screen, in Adobe RAW converter, can address rather nicely.

Here is a shot of a bright red Mini, that had been de-saturated nicely in Adobe RAW convertor by using the Red saturation slider as shown in this image

312028522_ydpdG-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin