Advice on shooting a 6 mo. old outdoors

idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in People
I have to do some pics for a friend of her 6 mo. old. He is such a sweetheart, but I have no clue where to begin with a baby that age when I have to shoot outdoors (I don't have an indoor studio).

They have a Bumbo (which is this thing that can sit him up straight), so we will definitely use that. Any other positions??? We will be shooting late evening so the lighting should be fine, and he is a VERY happy baby.

I will be shooting with a 50mm 1.8 and my new 85mm 1.8.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    You may not have to shoot outdoors. In 2006 I purchased my 50 f1.4 just for the purpose of being able to shoot indoors in low light. I was a rookie when I took these, so don't be too critical. At six months, if he's not sitting up on his own, he's probably close. Maybe these will give you some ideas for poses.
    54353257_5o5bK-S.jpg

favorite toys are great and add a lot of color. White Bal off on this one though. Super low light after dark with the room lamps for light. As I said a rookie.
    54346230_csPSA-S.jpg
    mommy's likely to make him happy
    57824194_32QrV-S.jpg

When I was shooting my little girl at that age, I was always on continuous high speed burst mode. They move so fast and are so unpridictable, you just keep shooting. You're likely to have a tough time posing him, so let him play and fire away.

For more ideas, you can view my daughters 6-9 month gallery at: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/1164077_tiDGz#54346181_p8NH2
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    As the proud owner of a almost 9 month old I can tell you what I did.....

I use a black bed sheet draped across a rod as a background for indoor "studio" type shots.....That usually works pretty good.....Use a flash.....With the bumpo I usually covered around it with a blanket or something.....

Also if you have photoshop or paint shop pro or some other software package (gimp) you can hold him by the shirt on his back (with parents off camera so that there arm is just showing) and then clone out the extra arms....so no need for bumpo....Works best if the arm is in front of a plain background of somesort....(ie sky, wall, ect)

I guess when you are trying to take pictures of kiddos you want to capture what they are doing in that stage of there life.....So if they are on there tummy and holding there head up then that is a good shot to take....Also get down on the ground as close to there level as possible...Take lots of pictures and sift through them for the good ones.....might be a good time to do some patriotic or with daddy pictures also.....

some of my stuff...Some of its good some not but it seems to be getting better......
    http://unclejonsphoto.dotphoto.com/CPViewAlbum.asp?AID=5182206

Here is one of my favarites from someone on dgrin #10 if you end up doing the whole fam...plus some good baby shots....indoors ....natural light...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=87065&highlight=family

Good luck......
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Hey neighbor!!!

Have you considered using windowlight and shooting indoors? The 50mm will probably be your best bet either way. The 85mm needs to be at least 3 feet away for minimum focus distance. Try to get detail shots of feet, hands, etc. I had issues until I began looking at this type of shoot more for abstract details rather than portraits. Skin tones will be tough as well....this is why we see so many BW baby pics.

FWIW I shot these with a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 zoom. It is great for this type of work because of it's close focusing capability....Macro-ish.

297222661_geDiM-M.jpg

181824537_j7itA-S.jpg

167174109_CXtEx-M.jpg

167174185_KBQXL-M.jpg
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Be sure and bring a little rattle...also tell mom to bring some little "gold fish" snacks...

I typically refrain from doing children between the ages 4 - 6 months. I start back up 1 year and older. Altho I did do a 9 month old.

SMALLIMGL3356copy.jpg

LAINEYIMGL3345.jpg

These were throw aways. Just showing as examples.

And of course I will do a newborn.

Good Luck.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Don't know if you're looking for more serious portrait kindof shots or just some fun shots of the baby. I have taken some fun shots of my grandson about that age. If you can find a spot in the shade that is great. I use my front porch. I set up a sheet for the background, a card table draped with a sheet and set him on the card table. I have used the "bumpo" draped with a sheet. Laying on his stomach and getting at eye level worked well for me. Kaleb loved being on his stomach. I stuck a lot of hats on him and also let him play with things. Shoot in continuous because they are always moving. If his mom will be there that will help. I was always by myself. Let him have a nap and feed him first!!!! rolleyes1.gif You'll find that he actually is running things ... lol ... so just let him have fun and be himself and you'll have fun and get some great shots.

http://dgrin.com/search.php?searchid=1084046
    LadyTX
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

The 85mm needs to be at least 3 feet away for minimum focus distance.

I just wanted to reinforce this point. This is a very nice lens, but the minimum focus distance can be frustrating when trying to fill the frame with little details. It's great for shots where you're pulled back a bit and going for more full portraits. Have fun with your shoot!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice and examples. It's just kind of a fun shoot, so nothing real formal. I will post pics later. I think we are going to try for Monday evening.