AMA Frestone Texas MX National

AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited June 17, 2008 in Sports
I was out at the AMA Freestone Motocross National last weekend too, and man was it hot. With temperatures pushing 103 degrees it was like being in an oven all day. To top it off the humidity was high too. But it was still a blast and the racing was good.

i18PHOTO2.jpg
i18photo5.jpg
i18photo7.jpg
i18photo8.jpg
i18photo9.jpg
i18photo13.jpg
i18photo14.jpg
i18photo15.jpg
i18photo19.jpg
i18photo20.jpg
i18photo16.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I love No.7, (thats not to say the rest are not good, they are great) was a flash used on this picture??

Tim
  • AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    I love No.7, (thats not to say the rest are not good, they are great) was a flash used on this picture??

Tim

Yes, that corner was under a big shade tree. Flash was a big help, in general, as the sun was pretty much straight overhead all day. And the clouds kept blowing through too. It was a tough day for lighting.
  • NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    Yes, that corner was under a big shade tree. Flash was a big help, in general, as the sun was pretty much straight overhead all day. And the clouds kept blowing through too. It was a tough day for lighting.

you have some nice shots.
    can you tell us what camera & lens you were using and some of the setting.

thanks

Tim
  • AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    you have some nice shots.
    can you tell us what camera & lens you were using and some of the setting.

thanks

Tim

Sure, Tim

I shoot mostly with a Nikon D200 and an 80-200 2.8.

For available light my exposure is usually ISO 100, shutter priority at 1250th/sec, exposure compensation at -.07 or -.03, so the f/stop is floating between 5.6 and 7.3 depending on the cloud cover. At freestone it was partly cloudy so it was going dark to light. To compensate I was changing the ISO from 100 to 400 constantly. Photos #4, #9, #10 and #11

My exposure for the pan shots is usually ISO 100, 160-200 shutter around f/16. Photos #1, #,5 and #8.

For the daylight flash stuff I was using a Nikon D70--because it will sync at all shutter speeds--and my 80-200, with a Norman 200C flash with a telephoto reflector. My exposure is ISO 200, 1000th of a sec shutter at f/9 if it's bright out. Photos #2, #3 and #6 were shot with this set up.

Photo #7 was shot with the D70, a 50 1.4 lens and a Vivitar 285 flash, ISO 200, 1000th at f/5.6--that corner was under a big shade tree.

I try to keep things simple when I'm shooting a race. I don't like to get muddled down by carrying a bunch of equipment around that I'm not going to use. At a pro national there are four main motos to shoot so I usually have a plan, going in, to shoot each moto differently. That way, I'm concentrating on shooting more, rather than worrying about equipment changes and new set ups as the motos are only about 35 minutes long.

That's about it, just keep it simple.
  • hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    nice shots! I was in Mt. Morris yesterday watching the National... I left the camera in the bag and just soaked it all in! Talk about an oven.... lol Great day with my father! I think I'm heading to Steel City and taking the Camera with me this time! trying to get in close to the track. Were you inside the barriers? How'd you get in? Any help getting this done would help... thanks..
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb