Where to learn the basics of model / portrait photography techniques?

nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited June 12, 2008 in People
I would consider myself mainly an amateur sports / action photographer. I only have a Canon XTi and 2 lenses: EF 50 f/1.8 and 70 - 200 mm F/4L, non-IS. The next lense I plan to get is the Canon 24 - 70 mm f/2.8L or possibly a comparable sigma or tamron lense.

Basically, I just want to be able to get the best possible posed shots of my wife, kids, etc. Is there a good book or part of this forum that just covers the very basic stuff like posing, lighting, etc.? I already have a good idea what ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. are usable in a certain situation, but what I don't have is knowledge of the art involved in it. Thanks.

Ethan

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Both of the "sticky" threads at the top of the "people" forum have some pretty good info. I have learned a pretty good bit from books at my local library. They have a decent selection on lighting and posing. Maybe your library has something that will be of help?

Other than that, find some photographers whose work you like, and study what they do/don't do that draws you.
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    read books and wonder the forums and investigate the images you see not just look at them, I agree with Jeff about finding things in the images that draws you, but I would add that noticing things that you don't like is equally as important.
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    also depends whether you would like to use natural lighting or strobes

for natural lighting, I would suggest you visit Yuri's Natural Lighting thread found here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71133
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Magazines. I tear out the ads/pics I like best and diagram them. Where the lights are, what kind of face and body they have and how they posed, themes!!!, and what not. I like it for a reason!
    Plus, almost everyone looks great looking up with light above, on the sides, behind [lighting the hair] and a nice spot, beauty pan, or ring light to make the eyes pop and the skin glow.
    Lighting is a huge part of making people look nice. Posing is a collaboration between you and the people. Have them pose while you either look thru the lens or not. Or just snap shots and go through them and see what worked best for those A) body types, B) face shapes C)women vs men and whatnot. iloveyou.gif I really like model photography. I like glamour a lot.
    I wrote this somewhere else today but study face shape well. As in, see the shapes in the face: circles, triangles, trapezoids, and exploit the bejeeezus out of the good ones.wings.gif
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    What part of the world are you from?
  • nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Thanks for all the info. I did a quick search on this site, but missed what was right under my nose at the beginning of the "people" forum. There seems to be lots of good info there. And for the one who asked, I live in east Tennesse, USA roughly 25 miles from Knoxville.

Ethan
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    nobody wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. I did a quick search on this site, but missed what was right under my nose at the beginning of the "people" forum. There seems to be lots of good info there. And for the one who asked, I live in east Tennesse, USA roughly 25 miles from Knoxville.

Ethan

There are several excellent Non-Credit courses at the University of Tennessee
    https://aceweb.outreach.utk.edu/ShowSchedule.awp?~~GROUP~PERPHO~Photography+Certificate~PER
    Of course these are for this summer (small course offering) but they should have a lighting/portrait class this fall.
    I have taken several of the classes and they have been invaluable to me. I've learned an awful bunch through the "connections" I've made with other photographers at the classes...tagged along with one of this area's best wedding photographers a few weeks ago and learned so much about posing! Feel free to PM me if you need anything else and Welcome to DGrin!!!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)