My First street shots

beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in Street and Documentary
Being my first time I was glad to find some performers because otherwise I probably wouldn't have got too much. I'm afraid someone will get mad that I'm taking there picture. Probably worried for nothing.
By the way, what does the PJ stand for in the people forum description?
311940668_pmufr-L-2.jpg
311949961_4QLF2-L.jpg
311950100_4PzEp-XL.jpg
311950221_4tGt5-L.jpg
311950355_cjvNo-L.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Thanks Jeff, No C&C?
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    That last one is sad, and that's not a bad thing. The sepia gives it a worn feeling and with the state of patriotism today in America, the flags being hung but no one heeding is quite pronounced. Good shot!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    Thanks Jeff, No C&C?

Sorry Beetle....

I am on an uncalibrated laptop monitor, so I cannot say here or there as to the colors or exosures. I like the last two best. I think that an area to improve on with this type of shooting would be to use a shallower DOF(depth of feild...or focus). I don't know if you own a long focal length lens with a large aperture to allow you to do this, but I really like candids like these where the subject is just carved out of the clutter and isolated against an obliterated background. That is my taste anyway.

Street candids can be tough, mainly because of the fear factor that you alluded to on the part of us as photographers. Last year I followed my daughter's cheer squad to the local elementary school for a pep rally....and I recently was asked to(and did) photograph a funeral. I had a specific reason for being at both places, but still felt as if I were out of place....so...I know the feeling.

Kudos to you for getting out there and getting your feet wet in street photography. I would imagine that the more of it you do, the more comfortable and daring you will become.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I don't know, they don't do it for me headscratch.gif They looks like snap shots to me ne_nau.gif There is no story.

The only photo I liked is the first one (because of the interesting perspective), but the others don't provoce any feelings.

#2: snapshot.
    #3: snapshot + out of focus
    #4: the idea is nice, but it doesn't do it for me in color. His short is very distracting also (logo), I guess an other perspective might have helped ne_nau.gif
    #5: Interesting, but you should probably take it further in Photoshop
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Thanks guys,
    I'm gonna keep trying these, I can see how they'd be very fun and rewarding.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I like 4 and 5. I think 4 would benefit from backing away from the couple a little bit so you get all ofthem in the lower right hand corner. I like number 5 also, but feel like it needs something, maybe more pop?