Options

Lifehacker poll

havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited June 13, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Lifehacker has a poll up on what is the best Photo Sharing Site.

They have the polling down to five sites (with a "other" category also).

Smug made the top five...now let's make it number one.

The poll is here
Randy P.
Fuji X shooter
Thoughts and Images

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    havanese wrote:

The poll is here
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    havanese wrote:

The poll is here

Entered my vote for SmugMug. The poll itself is pretty lame (no criteria specified)...."best" based upon what???---cost??, funtionality??, attractiveness?? support?? overall user experience??

I took my first look at Flickr (since it's rated #1 so far per the poll)...It's doesn't come close to SmugMug in terms of appearance, that's for certain. The "free" basic account means that it will get a lot of votes based upon that fact alone. I was a bit surprised (because of all the Dgrin post comparing SM to Zenfolio) that Zen didn't even get an honoable mention...Zen, at least ,"looks nice".
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    Entered my vote for SmugMug. The poll itself is pretty lame (no criteria specified)...."best" based upon what???---cost??, funtionality??, attractiveness?? support?? overall user experience??
    For the past several days people left comments on the story "What is the best Photo Site". In the comments you would say

"VOTE: [enter favorite here]" and then why you thought that...then LH took all the comments and counted them up and then listed the five you see now.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    havanese wrote:
    For the past several days people left comments on the story "What is the best Photo Site". In the comments you would say

"VOTE: [enter favorite here]" and then why you thought that...then LH took all the comments and counted them up and then listed the five you see now.

Got all that...it's an opinion (mine, at least) that "polls" like this one are little more than popularity contests where the "winner" is most likely to be the one with the largest number of subscribers, pure and simple. I don't think it's any coincidence that Yahoo's Flickr and Google's Picassa are #1 and #2 in this poll. Better? Who really knows...the results of this particular poll ceratinly won't tell us.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    Who really knows...the results of this particular poll ceratinly won't tell us.

It's called having fun and maybe showing a new person smugmug. I learned about smug late last year from such a blog.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    havanese wrote:
    It's called having fun
    ?????

Snide-ness unexpected, but noted.

I've had lots of fun being a smugmug subscriber, and family and friends have expressed it's been fun for them as well. I first heard of smug from wife who said, "Honey, one of my former work colleagues went to work for a photo-sharing site called SmugMug...and he said we should take a look at it." That was two years ago...been with them ever since.

I guess you could say I even had "fun" entering my vote for smug on the "poll" in question since, like you as a fellow smugger, I feel smug deserves our support.

You apparently disagreed with my opinion that the "poll" itself was pretty lame, as polls go, for structural reasons (I don't think you'll be seeing a posted "within x%" notation on the accuracy of the results). Feel free to express and a different opinion if you like...it's a free country.