Options

Abes of Maine-good store

maryinmtmaryinmt Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 13, 2005 in Flea Market
I just wanted to help out the newbies who may be trying to figure out which stores are legitimate and which are ripoffs. I know I searched for a long time before taking the plunge. I bought my Canon 20D from Abes of Maine last month. The price was $1329 with the 18-55 lens and had free shipping. There was no bs and force selling. Just placed the order online, called to give them the right cc number (my bad) and they shipped it. Brand new, sealed box.

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Congrat on the new Camera thumb.gif
    And Welcome cheerleader.gif
    And the heads up thumb.gif
    Post some piccies :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Mary, have you actually taken delivery of the camera yet?

I ask, because Abe's is a shop I steer clear of.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Mary, have you actually taken delivery of the camera yet?

I ask, because Abe's is a shop I steer clear of.
    From her post, looks like she got it. I've heard the same as you, however, waxy. ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    I've bought from Abe's and gotten what I ordered in a timely fashion. I think shipping is relatively expensive compared to price and they do try to get you to buy a lot of extra stuff and you need to make sure whether or not it's gray market. And the name is deceptive, because I think the store is in Brooklyn and not Maine. But it's not like they just take your money and have a party.

You have to distinguish between the seriously good places, like Adorama, B&H, and Fotocare on the one hand, and low overhead mail order machines like Abe's on the other. But I've never actually been ripped off by the Brooklyn guys. And Adorama has certainly tried to sell me a lot of extra stuff.

Buyer beware, sure. But how many people have actually been billed for stuff they didn't get?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    I think there are at least three rip-off schemes. Others, I'm sure, can fill out the list.

The first is to advertise a product at a low price. When you delve into it, you discover that the normally included accessories, like battery charger etc., are not included at the low price and must be purchased separately. The final price equals or exceeds the B&H price.

The second is to advertise a product at a low price, make the sale, take the money, then not deliver. After much cajoling, the store reveals that it doesn't have your model in stock. After even more cajoling, they try to upsell you or move you onto another product. All the while, they have your money.

The third scheme is the relentless push to get you to buy expensive accessories. Some stores won't sell you the product at the advertised price, if you refuse to buy the overpriced gee-gaws.

I asked Mary if she'd taken delivery, because I worried that scheme #2 was in effect.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    maryinmtmaryinmt Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2005
    Yep! I have it in my confused, inexperienced hands! I recieved it 5 days after I gave them the correct credit card number. Oops on me. That is pretty standard delivery time to Montana. When I called in for the card number they asked if I needed flash card, etc. I said nope I've got all that. He said ok, sounds like you are set, you will get a tracking number emailed to you when we ship. That was in the morning. That afternoon I got the tracking number and the rest is history. I've read all the horror stories about the stores so the first thing I did was check the credit card. The total was exactly the same as the invoice, which was the same as the online price I added to my cart. I agree with the shipping. Usually it is pretty high. With free shipping though it was pretty nice.

Before ordering from them I had to find out for myself if all the ripoff stories were true about the discount stores that offered the camera for $800. So, I took a test run at A&M Photo. I had no intention of giving out my cc number but I just had to know. It was kind of funny, the man kept asking me which charger I wanted, and I kept replying with isn't the camera in a new sealed box, and he just kept asking which charger I wanted. After 3 rounds I laughed and said "well, I guess the reviews were true, have a nice day." I just wonder how places like that even stay in business. ne_nau.gif

I now have camera, lenses, and a dvd to teach me what to do with the whole mess. I'll get some pics posted soon so everyone can see how I've done. So far I have some nice pics of very tiny big horn sheep (they sure looked bigger in the viewfinder) and some really good ones of a fishing trip with the family.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    thumb.gif Thanks for replying, Mary! Nice detective work, this is a good story for others to read.
    Sid.