Floods in Des Moines

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited June 15, 2008 in Landscapes
312130459_ppvFJ-L-2.jpg

312132477_fhLnm-L-1.jpg

http://cmorganphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/5156029_f2pMY#312130259_8deb4

That's the other four I think. This is what little turned out from my flood excursion and pic snapping. My husband wouldn't stop for me to take pics, he slowed down and I rolled down the window. The majority of them are noisy and rather dark.
The bridge I am on is usually 60 feet above the lake: now the boats are on level with you. The clouds are always present and now we wait. I'm hoping to get better pics this weekend... though we are supposed to crest tomorrow. Hope you like them despite their flaws. :D

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    The flood waters of Wisconsin which destroyed Lake Delton are now invading Northern Illinois. Not a good situation
    The bridge I am on is usually 300 feet above the lake: now the boats are on level with you. The clouds are always present and now we wait. I'm hoping to get better pics this weekend... though we are supposed to crest tomorrow.

Surely you mean 30 feet, right? 300 feet over normal would destroy ½ of Iowa.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    300 feet over normal would destroy ½ of Iowa.
    rolleyes1.gif yeah, I corrected myself. 60 feet. Driving past and seeing boats [crazy people!!!] up next to you is really putting it into perspective this flood business. Hopefully everyone will be safe and get out in time if anything goes.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Here is a shot from downtown Des Moines today. It looks like the levees held for the most part. Those in Cedar Rapids were not so lucky. And yes that is a street light just barely above the water line.
    313184171_fz7zA-L.jpg
    edited June 14, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    Here is a shot from downtown Des Moines today. It looks like the levees held for the most part. Those in Cedar Rapids were not so lucky. And yes that is a street light just barely above the water line.
    313184171_fz7zA-L.jpg
    I'm heading out tomorrow for some more flood pics. I'd like to get some nice ones of the various spill overs near our house. If the camera club was already started for us I'd say let's all car pool and get some good shots together.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    I saw footage on the news. Not good. I'm pretty sure it's the worst I've
    ever seen.

My hope is that everyone is safe and the recovery is as quick as is possible.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 15, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I saw footage on the news. Not good. I'm pretty sure it's the worst I've
    ever seen.

My hope is that everyone is safe and the recovery is as quick as is possible.

These are old pic, there were no injuries and everyone at NOSC DSM was accounted for with the AF and Nat G doing their part. SO far, so good!