Options

How do I capture Lightning?

dreamlessdreamless Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited June 16, 2008 in Technique
Ok, well...I hope I'm in the right section for this question.

How do you shoot lighting? I tried my hand at it last night both on manual and automatic settings but, no luck. I could not get the camera to actually take the picture. I think from what I saw it the environment was changing to much (lots of lighting last night) and the camera couldn't keep up. I tried maual thinking I'd have more control and could maybe get a few speed rounds off but I got nothing instead. My signature lists the camera I am using.

Thanks,

Sean

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Hello
    What settings you were using ?
    You have to set camera on Long Exposure settings, and ofcourse tripod.
    I get mine around 30 sec in bulb mode with remote release.
    Then point camera where are the lights and perfect composition.
    Hit the button do not forget to activate Mirror Lock up
    and leave it to luck
    Experiment a lot
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I only wish I knew what I was doing when I took this. I went the route of clicking away on high speed drive mode (not easy). I later read in a book that you can put the camera on a tripod and set it to bulb mode. With a remote release, hold the shutter down until you see the lightning strike and then release it. Since it's so dark out, you can leave the shutter open and almost nothing will expose until the lightning hits. I have yet to try it out, so I'm just repeating another mans theory, but it seems like it should work. As for settings other than bulb, you're on your own.
    The EXIF is embedded into the photo so just click it to check it out.
    312628408_ZpJom-XL.jpg
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    dreamless wrote:
    How do you shoot lighting? I tried my hand at it last night both on manual and automatic settings but, no luck. I could not get the camera to actually take the picture. I think from what I saw it the environment was changing to much (lots of lighting last night) and the camera couldn't keep up. I tried maual thinking I'd have more control and could maybe get a few speed rounds off but I got nothing instead. My signature lists the camera I am using.

Ummm, I'm confused about what you're trying to do. Did you mean lighting, or lightning?
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    Ummm, I'm confused about what you're trying to do. Did you mean lighting, or lightning?
    I'm almost positive that it's lightning, only by context clues.. But you know what happens when we ASSUME!! So if you meant lighting, disregard my previous post.. lol
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    If you want an easy way to do something- ask a lazy man.
    http://www.lightningtrigger.com/
    Also has some ideas of how to shoot on the site.
    enjoy
    Gary