Artistic conversion of a photo

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited June 15, 2008 in People
This is for CC. Please let my know what you think.

312712233_aoQjd-L.jpg

Comments

• cloakcloak Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I'm not sure I'd go with that on the bottom, it looks like she needs to shave. Badly.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    cloak wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd go with that on the bottom, it looks like she needs to shave. Badly.

Laughing.gifLaughing.gif I see that...........rolleyes1.gif

What should I do though, the texture is like that all over the picture. I'm afraid if I erase that out, I may have to erase other areas to balance it.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I am not a fan of it. Maybe you were going for older, worn look? But it comes off looking just dirty to me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Julie, personally, to me it looks like very slow shutter speed and movement. I understand what you tried to do, but it doesn't really work. And i agree about the "hairy" part rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Julie, personally, to me it looks like very slow shutter speed and movement. I understand what you tried to do, but it doesn't really work. And i agree about the "hairy" part rolleyes1.gif

I was going for a drawn or painted look. I used something in CS3. Perhaps I'll try again and see what I come up with. I still love it though. iloveyou.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Julie.....my take:

Here on Dgrin, you'll most likely get the types of responses you've seen already. Other forums may be different, especially wedding and portrait forums. It seems many are pushing the envelope on processing....becoming the "new look". Some of it looks terrible (like the HDR craze), some cool, some fits the theme of the photo (think old west cowboy type with texture).

This particular shot: The textures/brushes used are good. The couple needs different treatment. The pimple on the neck is distracting along with the freckles on her skin. For this to have that painted/textured look, the subjects need to reflect what the photo is trying to convey. They are a bit too blurry and their ears are a bit red. It's close but not there yet.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I personally do not like the specular highlight on their lips... it is a little too much and it makes them look pale/soft.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I didn't really notice the "hairy" bride until it was pointed out, but know it's distracting. The thing that distracted me was the highlights around the kiss.
    edited June 14, 2008
    ne_nau.gif okay okay....I will try something different. I still like it though. rolleyes1.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    ne_nau.gif okay okay....I will try something different. I still like it though. rolleyes1.gif

Sheesh what is this?...everybody pick on Julie day?...ne_nau.gif

I appreciate where you are trying to go with this. Textures can be problematic in exactly the ways that have already been pointed out. I wouldn't give up. Sometimes the hint of a texture gets the mood across without becoming the subject of the photo.....and sometimes too much of a good thing takes charge. Keep playing with it...different opacities...after all...when someone sees it, do you want them to say.....wow...someone is handy with photoshop?...or wow...what a beautiful couple? Don't let the processing become the story.

That said....in the end, it is what you like that matters most.mwink.gif
    edited June 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sheesh what is this?...everybody pick on Julie day?...ne_nau.gif

I appreciate where you are trying to go with this. Textures can be problematic in exactly the ways that have already been pointed out. I wouldn't give up. Sometimes the hint of a texture gets the mood across without becoming the subject of the photo.....and sometimes too much of a good thing takes charge. Keep playing with it...different opacities...after all...when someone sees it, do you want them to say.....wow...someone is handy with photoshop?...or wow...what a beautiful couple? Don't let the processing become the story.

That said....in the end, it is what you like that matters most.mwink.gif

Thanks. If you saw the original you would see why the texture is so prominent. It was a shot with his parents and for some reason I caught the kiss. I like to play around with photos once in a while. That's why I added the flair in the kiss and then the aged linen texture. I typically get my feathers ruffled when no one likes my work or CC harshly (never has that happened here, but on a board I just recently quit) (some on that board was just mean, just to clarify). I will still play around with photos to that effect because I've seen some digital painting and love the look of it.

Thanks again,:D
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Okay, I do like the texture. Sure, its probably good advice to see if you can mute it anywhere it could be confused with unwanted hair. I am one of those "keepers of the family history", maybe the effect taps into that for me. But I believe i'd like it better without the flare. The flare looks too modern, so it becomes like a mixed era sort of thing; a little too much going on with that in there too.

Did you buy a filter set?
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com