Options

Advice Anniversary Party/Magic Show

duchessduchess Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited June 21, 2008 in Technique
Hi All, I am shooting an anniversary party at a place where they do Magic Shows. I am afraid it will be kind of dark and I will need to utilize my fill flash. Please provide any advice on settings that I could use to have beautiful sharp pictures. I am starting to get discouraged and feel that my $100 digital camera takes better photos than my $1000 camera.

www.dutchandduchess.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 14, 2008
    Hi Duchess, welcome to dgrin.

You have not filled out your profile, so we have no idea what camera, flash or lenses you possess, so it is difficult to know where to start.

Give us a little awareness of your level of understanding of photography and flash also.

More sophisticated cameras can do a better job than a point and shoot, but they do demand a more knowledgeable user to achieve the very best results.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    I have added my camera info to my profile. I am beginner photographer. I have been reading up alot on camera settings etc... I even went to a 1 hour class on camera basics (understanding apeture, ISO, shutter speed)

So I took the pictures at the Magic show. Some came out okay, but others I didn't understand why they were dark. I would like to take a class where I can get more hands on experience, but it looks like I am having to find out the hard way, by making the mistakes.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    Duchess,

I see you have the Nikon D80. Do you have an external flash? If not, I can recommend the SB-800 and SB-600 from Nikon and the Sigma EF 500 and EF 530 DG Super flashes.

Working in dark places and low light, you often have to use an external flash as primary light, not fill. Fill flash is used when there is enough ambient light but fill light is needed to add detail to shadow areas.

A decent external flash, used with a suitable bracket, off-camera cord and diffusion device, can add the depth required to create convincing images.

Here are some examples using external flash and a "scoop" modifier:

143666541-L.jpg

116991247-D.jpg

116991254-D.jpg

233444706-L.jpg

My scoop is similar to:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    I just purchased my SB800 speedlight. I used it for the anniversary party, however, some of my pictures were still kind of dark. But most of them came out okay and I just shot using the manual mode and I think I used TTL-B

I am new to this so I have been using the flash attached to the camera and I find it easier. Is it best to remove the flash from the camera?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    duchess wrote:
    I just purchased my SB800 speedlight. I used it for the anniversary party, however, some of my pictures were still kind of dark. But most of them came out okay and I just shot using the manual mode and I think I used TTL-B

I am new to this so I have been using the flash attached to the camera and I find it easier. Is it best to remove the flash from the camera?

Start with the scoop modifier I mentioned above. If you don't want to make one, we have a DGrinner who will sell you one (in the Flea Market, but I don't see him just now.)

A "Better Bounce Card" is also nice, but relies on using ceiling bounce to work. It does not work as well with really high ceilings or colored ceilings.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums