Options

DVD's for storage.

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Im not into all this...can someone pick a good brand for me please.. or are they all pretty well the same re longevity in storage (being fully aware nothing is guaranteed other than death & taxes)

http://asplive.xtreemtc.com.au/scripts/xtreemlive.wsc/mainp?menu=images-view&cc=135&sc=144

Im just after a basic storage DVD...nothing i want to re-write to...nothing i want to print onto, i just want to burn to them & put them away.

Comments

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I have always had the best luck with Verbatim brand, avoid the ultra cheap ones.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Im not into all this...can someone pick a good brand for me please.. or are they all pretty well the same re longevity in storage (being fully aware nothing is guaranteed other than death & taxes)

http://asplive.xtreemtc.com.au/scripts/xtreemlive.wsc/mainp?menu=images-view&cc=135&sc=144

Im just after a basic storage DVD...nothing i want to re-write to...nothing i want to print onto, i just want to burn to them & put them away.

In some parts of the world they are called MITSUI ..... Mfg'ers name is MAM-A.....they also mfg'er the Delkin Line of 100+yr dvd's.......actually this link is for the homepage of parent company MAM-A.....do yourself a favor and read the reports on the right side of the page...it expalins a lot.....I will say this about their GOLD CD's....they are tough and the best ones actually ahve gold foil and are not a dye and some that is expalined in their reports.......When I was at WSU wee only used the Mitsui Gold for our recordings as they had the least fallout of any brand.....sony had a fallout rate of +20% per order of CD's (our usual order was around 1500 -2000) and Mitsui Gold (MAM-A) held to a record low of less than 3%....they are higher but I won't trust my files to anything else ever again.....I did once i bought a name brand from COMP USA and all ofthoise disks are now corrupted......I have files that have not been in a protective sleeve or jewel box for over 6 yrs and they still work fine and they are of course the MITSUI GOLD. one last little tid bit.....if you are starving and don't care about your files any more just break the MITSUI GOLDS open and retrieve the 24K gold foil to sell as scrap gold.....it is real gold not dye............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Thanks guys...i am checking those brands out now thumb.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Hey Gus, this might help:

Blank media quality guide & FAQ.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hey Gus, this might help:

Blank media quality guide & FAQ.
    Yeah i was reading that site earlier on today. Those top brands dont seem to be in the shops here. Im off for a better look tomorrow. ta thumb.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    I'm using Tayu Yudin's (sp?) and never had a problem burning any of them.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Taiyo Yuden. Those are supposed to be the best & have worked well for me so far. Of course, my opinion on the lifespan of burnable DVD's should be well known by now...
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Taiyo Yuden. Those are supposed to be the best & have worked well for me so far. Of course, my opinion on the lifespan of burnable DVD's should be well known by now...

Agreed. I don't know about longevity, but everyone I know in the entertainment industry uses them.