Options

keywords...

bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited June 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
question and problem-

is it possible to restrict a keywords to a gallery?-
something like ....smugmug.com/xxxxxx_xxxx/keyword/word1+word2+etc...
where xxxxxx_xxxx is the gallery id?

(i can do this with a search, restricted to a gallery, but that doesn't give me a smugmug style view---when you click on a search result, it goes to that pic in that gallery---really hard to just browse the pics returned in the search...)

i know i could just add a gallery specific word- but, it would show up as a "-keyword" option and the viewer could remove it from the list of keywords...

this would allow my visitors to search by keyword, only in the gallery that i gave them (which is password protected...)

i've searched and searched....i'm hoping i just don't know the magic url... :)

bh

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    I'm sorry I'm not really understanding the question...
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    this would allow my visitors to search by keyword, only in the gallery that i gave them (which is password protected...)

i...
    The keywords in passworded galleries will only show to you logged in not your visitors.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry I'm not really understanding the question...

sorry- a more simple version of the question--

i can click on the "alex" keyword on my home page which goes to this URL:
    brianhart.smugmug.com/keyword/alex

i can also simply type the same url in, and it shows all of the pics with that keyword in a smugmug style view (thumbs and big pic) --- all is good

what i want to be able to do is be able to type a url that shows images with the keyword "alex", but ONLY from gallery # xxxxxxxx

what i was saying in the previous post was that i know i can use the "search" url and using "&searchType=InAlbum&AlbumID=5166895" .... but, the search results aren't viewable like the keyword results (clicking on a thumb goes to that pic in the gallery, which is fine for viewing a single image out of the search results, but no so much if you wanted to look at all of the images returned by the search)

if i'm still not clear, i can try to explain again... :)

thanks
    bh
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:

what i want to be able to do is be able to type a url that shows images with the keyword "alex", but ONLY from gallery # xxxxxxxx

if i'm still not clear, i can try to explain again... :)
    I think it's clear but, unfortunately, what you want to do is not possible, I'm sorry. I wish I had a different answer for you.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I think it's clear but, unfortunately, what you want to do is not possible, I'm sorry. I wish I had a different answer for you.

thanks, ivar-

one last question-- anyway to make the search results show in the smugmug style (thumbs on the left, pic on the right) so you don't have to keep using the browser's "back" button to view all of the search results?

thanks-
    bh
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    You can do this by adding a second keyword to all of the photos in the gallery, and then combining the keywords together.

For example, if you put "march08" as a keyword in the relevant gallery (NB: sometimes you need to put quotes round the keyword if you combine numbers and letters), then you could go to
    http://brianhart.smugmug.com/keyword/alex-march08 to get a combined keyword result
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    PBolchover--thanks- i thought of that, but that would allow someone to click "remove keyword" ... not exactly what i'm trying to do... not for security, so much, more for simplicity... if the viewers remove the gallery specific keyword, they are then viewing images from the whole site...most of which is irrelevant to them-

i'm open to other suggestions...what i'm trying to do, very simply, is filter a specific gallery--- such as: when photographing an event, there maybe 50 or more photos- most of the people viewing the gallery will be interested in only 4 or 5 pics, usually a specific person- i don't want them to have to search the gallery (which is sorted by time, not person) for the 4 pics they want....however, i also do not want to create 10 galleries (by person) for a single event...

and to make it more difficult...i do want it password protected...so i think that blows the keywords anyway...

any ideas?

thanks-
    bh

PBolchover wrote:
    You can do this by adding a second keyword to all of the photos in the gallery, and then combining the keywords together.

For example, if you put "march08" as a keyword in the relevant gallery (NB: sometimes you need to put quotes round the keyword if you combine numbers and letters), then you could go to
    http://brianhart.smugmug.com/keyword/alex-march08 to get a combined keyword result