Options

Why do you FORCE me to square thumbs?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
There have been a great many wonderful new Smugmug features over the last few years. But the one that absolutely drives me nuts is when you changed the default for thumbs to square and you force us all to have that as our default. I almost never want square thumbs. I shoot tight. I often shoot portrait orientation. Square thumbs just don't work without manually positioning every thumb and I don't have time for that much manual labor.

I don't mind if you offer square thumbs. Sometimes they look nice. I'm fine if others like them. But, why do you force them on me as a default when they never were the default before and many don't like them?

Please don't give me an answer about using a saved setting and applying that to all new galleries. That doesn't work for me and it's several extra steps from what I had before.

Please, give me an account-wide setting to set the default value for thumb shape to the aspect ratio of the photo like it used to be.

Here's a small taste of what square thumbs look like in the slideshow for one of my sports galleries. They are embarassing and I can't even control them here:313326870_FgWzg-XL.jpg
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Please don't give me an answer about using a saved setting and applying that to all new galleries. That doesn't work for me and it's several extra steps from what I had before.
    Thanks for telling us exactly how you feel, John. Sorry the quick settings template won't work for you :(

Please, give me an account-wide setting to set the default value for thumb shape to the aspect ratio of the photo like it used to be.
    Thanks for the feature request!

I'll make sure the team sees your comments, John.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Another request for some way to switch off square thumbs without having to rotate each pic.

Also, why can't the default setting be original, rather than square? After all, it was the default (only setting) until very recently?

[edit]This may help someone - I found that changing the gallery style to something else, changed the thumbs to original without having to rotate them[/edit]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    BigAl wrote:
    Another request for some way to switch off square thumbs without having to rotate each pic.

Al, photo tools>adjust thumbs - that tool's been there for a while now :D