Options

My first REAL wedding

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited June 17, 2008 in Weddings
I actually did a friend of my son's wedding about 3 months ago. I had so much fun I decided I wanted to do this for real. I have gotten so much help from all my Dgrin friends it is unreal. I think I will always be able to look at my pictures and say, "These were the ones taken before DGrin, and these were the ones taken after Dgrin."

I know I still have a long way to go. I am a little embarassed to put these on here, because I have seen such incredible pictures on here and I know these are not up to that standard.

I didn't have the money to spend on the 17 - 55 IS f/2.8 but I am TOTALLY convinced that that is the glass for weddings. I plan to buy one for my next one. We did video as well (my son Dawson and I did this together) and my video camera died. I ended up buying two new video cameras in preparation for this one, as well as a couple of primes (85 1.8 and 50 1.4)

Anyway, I am exhausted--it was a solid 12 hour day, but I wanted to get a couple on here and ask you to celebrate this milestone with me. This are completely untouched as far as post. Two of the last ones of the night.

Oh, one other bit of trivia: we shot 20 GIGs! Oh, and that is Dawson in the blue shirt in the first picture. The video camera is above him on a tripod he is holding.

313314257_3hf6e-M.jpg

313313652_Gh27i-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    I had a blast as well. Thanks for all the help DGrinners - you guys are amazing!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Congratsthumb.gif. I'm supprised you guys are so enthusiastic right after. I'm usually pretty tired after a long day's work.eek7.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Hey Josh, I don't see any pics. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Richard wrote:

you moderators stay up late keeping us honest!

I don't know why they are not showing up. here is the Gallery (two pics)

http://joshhunt.smugmug.com/gallery/5171817_9kTBX#313314257_3hf6e
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    That's probably because external links in that gallery is set to 'no' deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    That's probably because external links in that gallery is set to 'no' deal.gif

ah, you are right. my bad. I believe I have it fixed now. Does any on this forum sleep?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    ah, you are right. my bad. I believe I have it fixed now. Does any on this forum sleep?
    I think with us mods spread out over the world as we are, we're pretty much covered 24hours/day. (it's close to 11am here :D)
  • Options
    PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Sleep? At this time? This is the BEST time to do post on photos. This is about the only time of day that there is any peace and quiet around here.thumb.gif
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    These two are very nice photographs. They look very good. 20 Gigs is a lot!!:D
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Congrats on entering into the world of wedding photography. I do it part time and also love it. But as some others say....my body just is so tired after a wedding, but my mind is still thinking, i have to look at each photo before going to bed.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Nice work!! Looks like you guys are to a good start! wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Well done, Josh! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    A touching moment
    what a difference good glass makes. The first few were taken with a prime --50 mm 1.4 (not shot at 1.4), the last ones with my old 28 to 200. Next wedding: 17 - 55 2.8 IS

314031736_LjrJt-M.jpg

314031790_zhdGS-M.jpg

314031865_fugyX-M.jpg

314031923_KgxB8-M.jpg

314031981_nh76P-M.jpg

314031669_ZxaAv-M.jpg

314031490_fdiXj-M.jpg

314031560_Pe3sN-M.jpg
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Josh:

I continue to be imprressed with how much work you are putting into your craft. It is obvious that you continue to improve daily.

Nice shots. Now that you are a wedding photog, you need to keep up with the WPPI crowd.

Do you follow these:

www.jessicaclaire.net
    http://www.beckersblog.com/
    http://blog.danesanders.com/photo-minutes/the-creatives/

Some more ideas for your professional creative side.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Agreed! You are improving leaps and bounds. Good clarity on these shots Josh. With a bit of processing techniques these can go to a new level. Weddings are exhusting but much fun. Capturing the essence frame per frame is the challenge. #2 is one such example. That one conveys the mood. It looks like you've cropped these fairly tight and thin...or were these original comps? (last series). You may want to consider cropping in tighter bringing out the facial expressions with less dress, flowers and surroundings...just a thought.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Nice work! I love the expressions captured on the last shot of Dad and his little girl....priceless moment!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    You did a wonderful job. Love the series with mom, very nice!!! iloveyou.gif

Can't wait to see more .... clap.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Josh:

I continue to be imprressed with how much work you are putting into your craft. It is obvious that you continue to improve daily.

Nice shots. Now that you are a wedding photog, you need to keep up with the WPPI crowd.

Do you follow these:

www.jessicaclaire.net

Z

I agree, the above mentioned photographers are the best & Becker's Blog is so helpful & fun to watch!!

Btw. Is that the wedding where the bride wanted to have "crazy shots" how did that go? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Agreed! You are improving leaps and bounds. Good clarity on these shots Josh. With a bit of processing techniques these can go to a new level. Weddings are exhusting but much fun. Capturing the essence frame per frame is the challenge. #2 is one such example. That one conveys the mood. It looks like you've cropped these fairly tight and thin...or were these original comps? (last series). You may want to consider cropping in tighter bringing out the facial expressions with less dress, flowers and surroundings...just a thought.

that is more or less the original crop. I will try that. good idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I agree, the above mentioned photographers are the best & Becker's Blog is so helpful & fun to watch!!

Btw. Is that the wedding where the bride wanted to have "crazy shots" how did that go? rolleyes1.gif

I will look into those sites. Yes, and, uh, I kinda dropped teh ball on crazy. :-(
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Nice work! I love the expressions captured on the last shot of Dad and his little girl....priceless moment!!! thumb.gif

I know. I love that shot. I know it is not that sharp, but the expression made me cry. Perhaps because I am a Dad and I can feel his emotion.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Josh:

Do you follow these:

www.jessicaclaire.net

Z

Thanks so much. That is good to hear. And thanks for those links. I had not heard of them but added all three RSS feeds to my My Yahoo! Page (a great place to add all your favorite blogs so you can see in one place who has updated.)

I read a book once--I think Made to Stick--but, ironically, the title didn't stick in my brain. Anyway there was a section comparing people who were thought to be naturally creative with people who were taught to be creative by exposing them to certain templates of creativity. The people who were taught to be creative ended up being more creative than the naturally creative. Point: creativity, like playing the piano, can be taught, and at the end of the day, practice will trump talent. (It really helps to have both.) Anyway, my point is all that rambling is that I have spent a good deal of time looking at Smugmug wedding pages, as well as posts on here. These sites will be an additional will be a new source of inspiration.
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    These are nice.
    Jaye
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Congrats on the first wedding, love the captures you posted here. Great colors.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    The almost kiss
    this is from the actual ceremony. sometimes you get lucky

314633747_rigip-M.jpg