Babies are much harder to photog than I thought...

adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited June 20, 2008 in People
Oh, I am so depressed about my first infant photoshoot. :( It was SOOO much harder than I thought. It was in their home and no available window light. I was praying that there would be. Anyway... here's a couple of the best... and they're not so great... any c.c. I would greatly appreciate for next time!! The babe would cry as soon as the paci was out of her mouth.
1. (Too much DOF here?)
313227655_dvj4t-M.jpg

2. (lighting was above her... should I have brought it over to front?)
313238211_iSbJE-M.jpg

3. Father / daughter (hot spots on his forehead... can I remove this in PP?)
313365764_CFAuw-M.jpg

4. (again... should have brought light to front to fill her face instead of have it so dark near the bottom)
313364310_fqHd3-M.jpg

5. And then I took a couple family shots of them outside... (I haven't cleaned these up yet... so there's a couple "spots" I need to get rid of).
313371033_LPpTs-M.jpg

I'd love any feedback you have for me.

THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Hi Angela,

I can't see any of the pics. Have you enabled external links in their gallery?

How To Post on Dgrin
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    sorry - you're right... I knew better. rolleyes1.gif Can you see them now?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    sorry - you're right... I knew better. rolleyes1.gif Can you see them now?

thumb.gif
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Awww, you did very well Angela. I especially love 1st and 4th shots. clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    I agree with Shepsmom....you have absolutely nothing to be depressed about. We are our own toughest critics for sure. I bet the parents will love them!
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Very nice set. I recently did an enfant sitting and you are right. It isn't easy!

As for the hot spots on dad's forehead, I think you may be able to get rid of (or diminish) them. Per Scott Kelby in his book on CS3 for Photographers just use the clone tool with a soft brush set to darken mode and opacity 40%. Working on a duplicate layer, clone from nearby skin. I've used the technique with success.

Virginia

Email
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Yes, these are nice. The parents will be thrilled, no question. Good use of DOF and comp. Fun and not your typical type shots...which make them good! thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Yes, these are nice. The parents will be thrilled, no question. Good use of DOF and comp. Fun and not your typical type shots...which make them good! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif These are really nice, I think you're being too hard on yourself! But you're right....shooting babies is not as easy as it looks! I think the parents will be very happy! thumb.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    You did great, I wouldn't worry iloveyou.gif

The only one I woudl change is #2. You can't see the pillow and the baby looks like it's in a "funny" position. Other than that clap.gif
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    i agree with the others, there isn't anything to get depressed about! I think they are great and I bet they'll love them! They don't notice our "mistakes" like we do luckily :)
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
    edited June 20, 2008
    Aww... Thank you all so much for the positive feedback! I really appreciate it! bowdown.gif Means a LOT coming from you all!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Adorable set, I just loooooove the emotion and energy in #5! Nice shooting angle, I can't ever seem to get one like this to turn out so nice! thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Angela,

While it's good to not be easily satisfied, you also have to be realistic. This ain't bad for the first time.

Fixing minor hot spots, shiny noses, etc. is pretty easy. Here is a real quick fix.

Sam
    edited June 20, 2008
    Thank you Urbanaries and Sam! I certainly appreciate the comments. Sam - that touch up looks great!!! Can you reveal what you did? Was it the same as FlyingGina's suggestion (which I haven't tried yet)?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Thank you Urbanaries and Sam! I certainly appreciate the comments. Sam - that touch up looks great!!! Can you reveal what you did? Was it the same as FlyingGina's suggestion (which I haven't tried yet)?

Basically yes. You can use a combination of cloning, and painting with skin color. The secret, if there is such a thing, is to use a soft brush, with a reduces opacity, and use multiple soft stokes with as large a brush as is possible.

Oh and a Little practice. :D

Sam