Options

Please Share Your "On-White" Photography Techniques

darrenhesterdarrenhester Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited June 18, 2008 in Technique
I've been experimenting recently with "on-white" photography. Here's a few shots I took this weekend using my 20D with 50mm lens, tripod, florecent lighting and white poster board. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out but I have a hard time getting consistant results.

If you guys have any links to good tutorials, books or other tips on taking photographs like this I'd appreciate it. So far I'm just using the trial and error technique. Getting the correct exposure it tricky for me. If I get the background pure white it tends to over-expose the image. If the background is to dark I end up spending lots of time in photoshop tweaking the brightness/contrast/levels/curves.

313412876_yBbgs-M.jpg

313412873_yqfHo-S.jpg

313412872_5YB85-S.jpg

313412891_sZFs2-S.jpg

Thanks!
Darren Hester
SmugMug | Flickr | Twitter | Facebook

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Sorry I don't have time to post more. I'm sure someone else will. But if you do a Google search for "High Key" photography. You may yield better results than using the other term.

You can definitely get this right out of camera so minimal pp will be required on your shots.

HTH
    -Jon
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Hi Darren,

You might start by looking at a tutorial Andy posted here on Dgrin a while back. Lots of other good tutorials can be found by clicking on the Tutorials link on the main Dgrin navigation bar.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Darren,

You might start by looking at a tutorial Andy posted here on Dgrin a while back. Lots of other good tutorials can be found by clicking on the Tutorials link on the main Dgrin navigation bar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick reply Richard! Great tutorial. I'll try your technique today ;-)
    Darren Hester
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Sorry I don't have time to post more. I'm sure someone else will. But if you do a Google search for "High Key" photography. You may yield better results than using the other term.

You can definitely get this right out of camera so minimal pp will be required on your shots.

HTH
    -Jon

Thanks Jon, "High Key" did indeed return lots of good links on google. Just didn't know what to search for. Appreciate your help.
    Darren Hester
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Bump up the exposure comp (if shooting in aperture or shutter priority). Or simply overexpose, if shooting manual.

65309255_BtpqW-L.jpg

257858359_ArAZw-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bump up the exposure comp (if shooting in aperture or shutter priority). Or simply overexpose, if shooting manual.

Thanks Andy. I'll give that a try.
    Darren Hester
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    I have begun shooting a lot of portrait work with white background/ hilight technique. I find the lastolite hilite background to be really nice. It folds up small, and makes this easy and fast. Still learning how to do it the old fashion way. Here is an article that explains it very well.
    http://www.zarias.com/?p=71
    Zack Arias does some amazing stuff, and he has an excellent article on shooting and metering on white seamless. Hope this helps.
    Gary
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 15, 2008
    Excellent info on shooting the white background in the previous post's link
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    gchappel wrote:
    I have begun shooting a lot of portrait work with white background/ hilight technique. I find the lastolite hilite background to be really nice. It folds up small, and makes this easy and fast. Still learning how to do it the old fashion way. Here is an article that explains it very well.
    http://www.zarias.com/?p=71
    Zack Arias does some amazing stuff, and he has an excellent article on shooting and metering on white seamless. Hope this helps.
    Gary

Thanks for sharing the article. Zack looks like the master of this technique. I wish I had a basement I could convert into a studio like his! I got some great ideas from his tutorial.
    Darren Hester
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 16, 2008
    Darren,

Zack uses an opaque background lit from the front. You can also use a translucent background, lit from behind. The secret is to keep the subject far enough in front of the background to achieve lighting seperation. For small subjects, like flowers, grapes, etc, this might be even easier to do....

Think of a larger light tent,perhaps.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Not quite a "white" background ... this was shot in-situ using a reflector behind subject for background (D'oh) and a white diffuser above to soften the very harsh sunlight.

159548135_GchWm-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Not quite a "white" background ... this was shot in-situ using a reflector behind subject for background (D'oh) and a white diffuser above to soften the very harsh sunlight.

Impressive image Scott. Thanks for sharing your technique ;-)
    Darren Hester
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips! I've learned a lot. I created a make-shift lighting table and it actually works fairly well. Here's a few more isolated images I made. Not the most artistic photos. Just trying out different techniques. Let me know what you think.

315675570_77wqb-M.jpg

315675569_wAiy4-M.jpg

315675573_kUHAZ-M.jpg

These didn't require much PP. I adjusted the levels in photoshop to eliminate the background ( light gray to pure white ). Still tweaking my lighting to find the optimal placement. I'll keep working at it.

Appreciate all the help!
    Darren Hester