Options

Grasshopper/Green Bug

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited April 17, 2005 in Holy Macro
Last night my SensorBrush arrived from Canada, and I cleaned my sensor for the first time ever........boy was I worried about doing that :yikes

My sensor only has a couple of tiny spots now, but I am really pleased with how easy the SensorBrush was to use, and how much dust it took off so easily.

Here's a couple of shots I took this morning while I was watering my little tree out the front.

I am not sure what the Green Bug is called, it looks like a Leaf, and is rather large........the Grasshopper is only small its less than an inch in size.

I am starting to get the hang of the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro :clap

All shots hand held Canon 20D available light only......enjoy :D
Skippy (Australia)

GreenBug2_filtered.jpg

Grasshopper2_filtered.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Skippy, I like the first one very much. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    EXCELLENT SKIPPY! i still cant really find any good bugs but i did find a ant and you know what i was VERY SURPRISED how well i did! the ant could not have been bigger than half an inch and my 8 x 10 looks GREAT TO ME! Its not good enough to post on here but im getting the hang of it.... i also realized that its good not to get TOO CLOSE! im NOW aware that you DONT put the lens literally right on the subject. I really got to spend more time reading manuals. Anyway your images are really wonderful and i hope I can soon post my 1st macro image....

troy
    Skippy wrote:
    Last night my SensorBrush arrived from Canada, and I cleaned my sensor for the first time ever........boy was I worried about doing that :yikes

My sensor only has a couple of tiny spots now, but I am really pleased with how easy the SensorBrush was to use, and how much dust it took off so easily.

Here's a couple of shots I took this morning while I was watering my little tree out the front.

I am not sure what the Green Bug is called, it looks like a Leaf, and is rather large........the Grasshopper is only small its less than an inch in size.

I am starting to get the hang of the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro clap.gif

All shots hand held Canon 20D available light only......enjoy :D
    Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Thanks Sid
    wxwax wrote:
    Skippy, I like the first one very much. nod.gif
    I was really happy when I was watering the tree and saw that bug, I found one months and months ago, and I know they are quite slow and sit around so I ran back inside and grabbed my camera.

I still say the bigger the bug the easier they are to shoot.......bugs are very skitish, and that little grasshopper kept taking off on me, he as very small, I'd like to get hold of a decent one they have the most wonderful faces, they remind me of Gladiators.

Thanks for the comment Sid :D hope I can find more bugs soon.
    Skippy (Australia)

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Awww Shucks Troy
    windoze wrote:
    EXCELLENT SKIPPY! i still cant really find any good bugs but i did find a ant and you know what i was VERY SURPRISED how well i did! the ant could not have been bigger than half an inch and my 8 x 10 looks GREAT TO ME! Its not good enough to post on here but im getting the hang of it.... i also realized that its good not to get TOO CLOSE! im NOW aware that you DONT put the lens literally right on the subject. I really got to spend more time reading manuals. Anyway your images are really wonderful and i hope I can soon post my 1st macro image....

troy

Ohhhhhhh cool, doing Macro is not as easy as it looks is it headscratch.gif
    The slightest movement will ruin your shot, and so many times it is impossible to use a tripod, because of where the bug actually is.

My experiment this weekend is to attach my Canon 20D to my Microscope, I know it will fit because it has 58mm thread on the lens, and so do my Sony's.
    The fitting on the Microscope is 58mm thumb.gif I really don't know how it will go, because the Sony having the zoom allowed me to zoom past the vignetting, so I may not work........ I'll let ya know how I go.

Glad to hear your getting the hang of the lens too, it's fun, and yet frustrating at the same time isn't it.

Take Care Troy.......... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    Really nice Skippy thumb.gifthumb.gif

These are the sort of results I knew you'd be getting. Glad you found some willing subjects.....lol

That green one is some sort of stick insect. I believe they are even know informally as "walking leafs". I wonder how they came up with that name? :lol :lol

Keep it up Skippy. We need more great marco shots posted here clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Thanks Steve
    Really nice Skippy thumb.gifthumb.gif

These are the sort of results I knew you'd be getting. Glad you found some willing subjects.....lol

That green one is some sort of stick insect. I believe they are even know informally as "walking leafs". I wonder how they came up with that name? :lol :lol

Keep it up Skippy. We need more great marco shots posted here clap.gif

Steve
    Hi Steve, we are having really unusual weather here, and plant life is doing real well, so the bugs must be too :)
    My fruit trees have gone back into blossom they shouldn't be.
    My little Swan Plants are attracting all manner of bugs, and I am really really happy about that :)
    Now I just need some butterflies to come do their bit :D
    I am always looking for new bugs to photograph, but alas they are not easy to find where I live....... thanks for the comment Steve.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    this is the skippy we know and love -

the bug lady! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2005
    Thanks Andy
    andy wrote:
    this is the skippy we know and love -

the bug lady! thumb.gif
    I wish I could find more bugs, my plants are doing really well that I put in late last year, and they're already doing the job I hoped they would, they are attracting bugs clap.gif

Most of my plants are quite small, but growing really well, so hopefully when Spring gets here, I will have heaps of bugs in my own front and back yards :D
    Thats the plan thumb.gif

Take Care Andy, say hi to your wife for me ..... Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    In the U.S. they are known as Katydids
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2005
    Thank You
    ysr612 wrote:
    In the U.S. they are known as Katydids
    Dani over at the Sony Forum on Dpreview told me that too :D
    The are quite unique aren't they, with their leaf shaped bodies complete with veins too :D
    Hopefully I will come across more of these after Winter.

Thanks for looking........ Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    MichelePMicheleP Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Nice shots.....yes the first one is a Katydid.....I had one in my house a few years back and did get some shots of the poor guy before one of my cats ripped it's leg off......I managed to get it outside and it seemed OK. They are very slow...kind of freeze, like hoppers, when they get scared.

I have a great grasshopper shot, but don't want to hijack your thread so I will put it on a separate one.

Thanks for sharing !!

Micheleiloveyou.gif