Microphotography, Staring with a Train Wheel!

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited June 17, 2008 in Holy Macro
Alright, so I did Ziggy's project and built myself a microphotography lens. Under $10, sorta (had to buy some stuff at the hardware store, but i will use it for other projects too).

Anyhow, Here is my favorite image so far. This is UNCROPPED, the second wheel from the left on the first train, back of the 2007 UTAH quarter:
313634685_qSKU4-L.jpg

Here is a horrible P&S version of the same coin at 100% crop from a 3mp camera.
313636128_67ZE8-L.jpg

There you have it. This is going to be fun. I made a couple changes from the basic instructions Ziggy gave HERE - I added a connection point for the camera (body cap) and a lens cap for the front (modified tube the element came in).

I will be having even more fun when I get my new focus screen from Katzeye Optics as my horrible eyes have a tough time with manual focus with the default screen.

:barb
~ Lisa

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Alright, so I did Ziggy's project and built myself a microphotography lens. Under $10, sorta (had to buy some stuff at the hardware store, but i will use it for other projects too).

Anyhow, Here is my favorite image so far. This is UNCROPPED, the second wheel from the left on the first train, back of the 2007 UTAH quarter:

Here is a horrible P&S version of the same coin at 100% crop from a 3mp camera.

There you have it. This is going to be fun. I made a couple changes from the basic instructions Ziggy gave HERE - I added a connection point for the camera (body cap) and a lens cap for the front (modified tube the element came in).

I will be having even more fun when I get my new focus screen from Katzeye Optics as my horrible eyes have a tough time with manual focus with the default screen.

wings.gif

Ohhh Wow that is close isn't it eek7.gif
    If you hadn't of shown the second shot, I would never have known what it was a picture of.

It's very sharp, more so in the centre than any other part of the image.

Ziggy's very clever, isn't it wonderful how many people will share their talents with rest of us clap.gif

That's quite an amazing result DDragon thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Holy. Crap.
    Wow. That's just mind boggling how different they are. There is absolutely now zoom capacity on a p+s. I knew they didn't compare but there just isn't!!!

Nice shot of thew wheel. Looks like some old timey carving.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    thanks you guys. I'm very happy with how this shot (my 3rd shot with the lens) turned out. Really looking forward to some more shots with the setup.

You are right Skippy, it is great how we can all share so much here and learn so much from others - I know I never would have thought of doing this on my own even though I have always wanted to try microphotography.

:D
    ~ Lisa
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Looks like the project was a success :)
    Brian V.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Well, that seals it, I'm going to buy the lens right now!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,076 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    Lisa,

This is fantastic! clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Lisa,

This is fantastic! clap.gifclap

Thanks Ziggy! Thanks so much for the idea toobowdown.gif