My kids...

KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited April 15, 2005 in People
Hi and thanks for taking the time to look. The weather has been just dreadful for the past two days. So I took the time to play around indoors with my flash. My kids normally run when the camera comes out but yesterday they both agreed to let me get some shots. My daughter who is 29mo (normally loves to have her picture taken) wasn't very easy to work with, lol. Amazingly enough, my 8yo son (who normally makes sure no picture goes without a silly face) worked very well with me! I'm going to post smaller pics as I have several and don't want to take up so much space. Hopefully you will be able to tell enough to critique and give me your thoughts and opinions. If not I can put larger versions up.

Ok, here goes :D ,

I'll start with my daugher since I didn't get many of her. In the first one she was watching tv and holding a penny. Somehow I lost her eyes, you'd think there would be some light from either the tv or the flash, hmmm.
19528387-M.jpg

Next is a shot done in duotone. I felt that her bright clothes took away from her face. She was playing with her stuffed pony. 19528285-M.jpg

On to my son. I was working with a window off to the left and bounced the flash off the ceiling. I like the dramatic look it provided.
19539230-M.jpg
19539345-M.jpg
The next one done in duotone, I really love this shot!
19539376-M.jpg Last but not least is one done in black and white. I know fists are a no-no but he did it and I thought it looked ok :D19539162-M.jpg

Sorry if I completely overwhelmed everyone with my kiddos :rofl ! Feedback and critiques eagerly awaited!!!
Thanks in advance~
Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.

Comments

• Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Excellent shots!clap.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    Natalie,

I agree with Trish, they are all lovely thumb.gifthumb.gif

I have to go with you on that duo-tone shot of your son. Outstanding work clap.gifclap.gif

Most of these (at least 4 of them) look to be available light shots. Which IMO, means you did an even better job :D

Thanks for sharing your family with us,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • lukiedukielukiedukie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to look. The weather has been just dreadful for the past two days. So I took the time to play around indoors with my flash. My kids normally run when the camera comes out but yesterday they both agreed to let me get some shots. My daughter who is 29mo (normally loves to have her picture taken) wasn't very easy to work with, lol. Amazingly enough, my 8yo son (who normally makes sure no picture goes without a silly face) worked very well with me! I'm going to post smaller pics as I have several and don't want to take up so much space. Hopefully you will be able to tell enough to critique and give me your thoughts and opinions. If not I can put larger versions up.

Ok, here goes :D ,

I'll start with my daugher since I didn't get many of her. In the first one she was watching tv and holding a penny. Somehow I lost her eyes, you'd think there would be some light from either the tv or the flash, hmmm.
    19528387-M.jpg

Next is a shot done in duotone. I felt that her bright clothes took away from her face. She was playing with her stuffed pony. 19528285-M.jpg

On to my son. I was working with a window off to the left and bounced the flash off the ceiling. I like the dramatic look it provided.
    19539230-M.jpg
    19539345-M.jpg
    19539376-M.jpg Last but not least is one done in black and white. I know fists are a no-no but he did it and I thought it looked ok :D19539162-M.jpg

Sorry if I completely overwhelmed everyone with my kiddos rolleyes1.gif ! Feedback and critiques eagerly awaited!!!
    Thanks in advance~
    these shots are great. I've been reading a lot of post here and have been picking up a lot of tips and becoming more critical of my photography. I learned about the straight horizons amoung other things but why are fists a No-NO in portraits?
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Thanks Trish, I was pretty happy with the way they came out. Especially excited that my son cooperated, lol!

Steve~ That's def. my favorite out of all that I took! I was using the flash directly but it was casting some nasty shadows on my homeade backdrop, lol. So I thought that bouncing it may be a better approach. Once I did I really liked the low key drama it created with the window light and shadows.

LukieDukie~ I'm always scouting out sites that will help teach me more! Here is one that I revert to quite often when doing portrait work Tips for Portrait Photography Of course, here at DG I have learned a ton! Sometimes I forget to leave my own replies after reading all the great ones :D .

Thanks for the feedback. Who would have done something differently and why?

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    Really good shots! I would make #3 a little lighter. My monitor can't see the side of his face that is darker.

I love the two of your daughter. I love them all.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    They all came out nice
    Yeah, I know about kids not wanting to pose! My grandson's 4 and moves so quickly!

I like the window light best... although the others are just fine.

I'd blur the shadows on the backdrop some in photoshop (or whatever program you are using) if you can as it distracts from your son.

Great job!
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Nice work. I particularly like the duo-toned one.

Lee
    edited April 14, 2005
    Thanks again all! I got actual prints of them in the mail today. I just had to use the duotone of my son in my portfolio, I really, really like the way it turned out. The others after seeing hardcopies may be a tad too dark, but not by much.
    Anyway, thanks for your repliesicon10.gif!!

• GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Great shots and gorgeous kids! Congrats on the wonderful captures!thumb.gif
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    full of character
    I especially like the first & third ones of you son. Very 'grown up'.

It's a pity with the first one that he's not looking directly at the lens, he's just sort of staring ( a really minor niggle).
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to look. The On to my son. I was working with a window off to the left and bounced the flash off the ceiling. I like the dramatic look it provided.
    19539230-M.jpg

19539376-M.jpg

Sorry if I completely overwhelmed everyone with my kiddos rolleyes1.gif ! Feedback and critiques eagerly awaited!!!~
    nothing wrong with being proud of your kids.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    19539345-M.jpg
    This is my favourite. Very impressive photo!
    Yuri
    edited April 15, 2005
    Gator~ Thank ya for your reply! Yeah, they take after their mother (rofl, j/k).

Adrian-k~ Thanks! Yeah, I think the first that I posted was actually towards the end of my shoot. Hard to keep an 8yo boy in front of the camera and focused, rofl :D . The only thing I wasn't sure I liked about the first one is...does it kinda make him look like he's got a black eye on the left (his left)?? The shadows kinda created that effect from my pov. The more I look at the duotone the more I love it. Thanks again for your reply and feedback!

Yuri~ That's his devious look rolleyes1.gif. I adore your work, so your reply made me all giddy inside! Thank you for the huge compliment :D .

Yes I am a very proud Mommy, even if they do make me want to pull my hair out most of the time1drink.gif.