Options

Red-Tailed Baby - Update #1 of 2 in order

PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited June 16, 2008 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,

Well I haven't had a chance to update the baby Red-Tail lately, had some other business to take care of. I've been taking hundreds of shots (actually have about 1000 to process) but I just haven't had time.

Junior is growing and just about ready to leave the nest. He is all over the tree from top (100 feet high) to below the nest. He has been exploring and learning. Mom and Dad don't come around much except for bringing food.

As usual dad flies in and drops off food and then leaves. The other day mom brought a meal and I was amazed as even as old as junior is she shredded it and fed him beak to beak while taking some herself. It was really something to watch.

Dad is raiding all the little bird's nests and that doesn't make them happy. The other day as junior started exploring the tree the small birds got a pay back by dive-bombing him for over an hour.. you can see some of them in the photos and junior ducking.

Yesterday he climbed to the very top of the main tree. I thought for sure it was launch day. He crouched to launch several times but then a Kestrel came by and started going after him so down he came back to the nest.

I've seen him miss the nest and almost fall. I've seen him miss the limb and tumble to the next one. A couple times I thought for sure he was a goner. From his first 2 foot leap to a 30 foot drop to the nest he is gaining courage day by day.

I have been going out by 6 am every day this last two weeks just so I don't miss the big day when he leaves. I know it is close and I will be sad. This has been one of the most amazing experiences I have had behind a camera. It hasn't been easy, every kind of glare, shadow and obstacle there could be to mess up the shots but I've captured some exciting ones.

The following is #1 of 2 posts and the shots are ordered by the date they were taken, #1 being the oldest #19 thru 22 are from today.

Hope you like them.. junior (still not sure if it is a guy or gal) is a very beautiful raptor.

#1 - testing the wings close to the nest.
rt_1.jpg
#2 - first leap 3 feet from the nest.
rt_2.jpg
#3 - getting dive-bombed by the little guys (upper left)
rt_3.jpg
#4 - another one (lower right)
rt_4.jpg
#5 - calling for mom or dad to help
rt_5.jpg
#6 - dad to the rescue (and lunch)
rt_6.jpg
#7 - now he's mad.. dive-bomb me will you
rt_7.jpg
#8 - I'll show them, I'll go this way.
rt_8.jpg
#9 - well they must have left so now I can play
rt_9.jpg
#10 - from one side of the nest to the other
rt_10.jpg
#11 - mom and junior sharing a meal
rt_11.jpg
'
Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
'
Canon CPS Member
SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
NAPP Member..Click for Info

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    great update ylsuper.gif

your getting good at capturing images between the
    branches :ivar thumb.gif
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    awesome job Chrisclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    bfjr wrote:
    great update ylsuper.gif
    your getting good at capturing images between the
    branches :ivar thumb.gif

Hi Ben.. I hope I never see another leaf again. I now see them in my sleep..rolleyes1.gif
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info