Recent Sigma purchases

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited June 22, 2008 in Cameras
A few days ago I got two Sigma lenses in the mail - the 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and the 50-150mm f/2.8.

I love them! both are well built, sharp copies and the wide angle is loads of fun :barb

It would be nice if the 50-150 had OS but it's great as it is. I like it much better than the nikon 55-200 VR I upgraded from.
Just thought I'd recommend these two to anyone else looking in those ranges for some decent glass and can't afford a bucketload of money for the Nikon and Canon versions :)

Next on the list is the Tamron XR 17-50mm f/2.8 for the midrange :D
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    A few days ago I got two Sigma lenses in the mail - the 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and the 50-150mm f/2.8.

I love them! both are well built, sharp copies and the wide angle is loads of fun wings.gif

It would be nice if the 50-150 had OS but it's great as it is. I like it much better than the nikon 55-200 VR I upgraded from.
    Just thought I'd recommend these two to anyone else looking in those ranges for some decent glass and can't afford a bucketload of money for the Nikon and Canon versions :)

Next on the list is the Tamron XR 17-50mm f/2.8 for the midrange :D

how heavy is that 50-150 2.8.....I have an older siggy 70-210 2.8 and it is almost too heavy for hand holding especially with the tripod ring attached.....

Waiting anxiously to see some photos from both of these lenses..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    It feels quite nice in the hands. It is a decent weight with great build quality, but still easily light enough for handheld shots. My brother has the 70-200 2.8 IS and from what I remember (havnt directly compared them) the sigma is much easier to handhold in comparison to that monster mwink.gif

As for some shots, I'll be taking some more shots over the next few days as I try it out, I'll have a look at the ones I already have taken soon and post some later.

In the challenges section under my 'flames and fluids' post, all are taken with the 50-150 except the last.
    My Blog
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    the 50 - 150 is a great option i think for indoor basketball and volleyball

Not only do you get great AF speed/accuracy but a more useable range for those sports on a crop body

70-200 is too long for Basketball from the floor near the basket on a 1.6 crop ...

and the 50-150 is a crop only (pretty sure) so that means that... it is lighter...

it has some copy issues with focus but so do all 3rd parties it seems ... send it in and it'll work great 2nd time around if not the first...

EX lenses seem to do really well...

EDIT:::
    I am excited to get my 17-50 in the fall (through the campus newspaper) 2.8 at that range will rock after so much lack of freedom with the Kit lens...

2.8 on the 70-200 with IS has SPOILED me!
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Have you used the 50-150 TJST? I'm liking it more and more as I use it :D
    Waiting anxiously to see some photos from both of these lenses..........
    Art, I took some portrait shots with it today, if you want to check it out.. here

Also the card trick shot I posted earlier was taken with the 10-20mm wings.gif
    My Blog