Options

Shooting Portraits with a Long Lens

nobodynobody Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited June 16, 2008 in Technique
dogwood:

As I've mentioned in other threads, I am in the process of just trying to get down the basics of model / portrait photography so I can get some good shots of my wife and kids. When I came upon this thread, I was a bit surpised to see you shooting indoors in a studio with a long lense similar to mine (which is a 70 - 200 mm f/4L). When I shoot something small, at close range with this (like my kids), the most striking feature I notice is that the subject stands out against an obliterated background. I found the link on another thread about hyperfocal distance, so I understand why and how that happens, what causes more or less background blur, etc. Is that a fairly common practice in model photography to use long lenses to achieve those effects or just something you do on rare occasions?

Also, since you're a canon person, have you tried most of their DSLR's? Specifically, I'd be interested in your opionion of how the mid-range ones, like the 5d compare against the cheap ones, such as the XTi. I've seen all the numerical data on these differences, I just like to see a professional opinion or two on image quality, performance of autofocus, etc. Thanks.

Ethan

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 16, 2008
    This was moved from the People forum to its own thread here.