C & C requested

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited June 16, 2008 in People
I've been aquiring some strobist type portrait equipment and playing a little. I got some books on lighting for Father's day and played around a bit. I don't have a studio space yet, so I tried to make it difficult for myself. I put her in front of a window with a couple hot spots on her right cheek. I shot this with a D300 85mm f1.4 and off camera SB-800 pointed into a silver umbrelly off to my right. An overhead light prevented me from getting the strobe higher. she was just talking to my mother, so I didn't pose her at all. By the way she's my wife.

manual, f8, 1/160, ISO 400, flash on TTL - 0
314420251_MRdAH-L.jpg

I would love some feedback on the light and anything else you can roast me on.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    the light looks a tad harsh to my eye. If you could work out a way to diffuse it or reflect the light I think it would be even better.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    the light looks a tad harsh to my eye. If you could work out a way to diffuse it or reflect the light I think it would be even better.

I think it's that silver umbrella. I started shooting the flash through a white one, then went to the flash with no diffusion and then decided to try the silver. I felt this was the best lighting I came up with as far as overall balance though. Looking at the shadow cast by her collar the white umbrella was definitely less defined than this silver.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!