Options

Senior pics with flash... Comments PLEASE

2»

Comments

• Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Great poses and very nice composition! The only honest opinion I have is the fill flash is quite overdone on some of the pictures. I would use a flash bracket or Gary Fong to fix that. (the Gary Fong works better than the bracket in my opinion..have used both) Also a little "portraiture" to soften her skin would make her glow. Is great to use for modeling shots.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Great poses and very nice composition! The only honest opinion I have is the fill flash is quite overdone on some of the pictures. I would use a flash bracket or Gary Fong to fix that. (the Gary Fong works better than the bracket in my opinion..have used both) Also a little "portraiture" to soften her skin would make her glow. Is great to use for modeling shots.

Thank you... And may I ask what Gary Fong is?
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    http://www.smugmug.com/ClubSmug/
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008

Andy provided the link to the Fong....It is basically a softbox for your speedlight. In outdoor shots you would use the cloud lightspere-or they have something called the whaletail which I haven't used yet. The cloud looks like big tupperware on top of your flash. It has a dome that diffuses the flash and fills in under the eyes and such without the "deer in the headlights" look. In outdoor portaits you use the diffuser pointed at the subject. If you were inside you would put it straight up for bounce flash. I LOVE my Fong!. I use regular softboxes in my studio room but for on location the Fong is the way to go in my opinion. Again...nice shots!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    L The ShadowmanL The Shadowman Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    The things that cought my eye the most was in number 3 besides the shadow was the lens flair i could say clean those up. and in number six there is a stray hair that goes horizontally around the area of her eye I would have taken that out. other people my have said that also i did not read ever response fully. but on another not it looks like you two had a good time and it looks like you had a lot of success.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Andy provided the link to the Fong....It is basically a softbox for your speedlight. In outdoor shots you would use the cloud lightspere-or they have something called the whaletail which I haven't used yet. The cloud looks like big tupperware on top of your flash. It has a dome that diffuses the flash and fills in under the eyes and such without the "deer in the headlights" look. In outdoor portaits you use the diffuser pointed at the subject. If you were inside you would put it straight up for bounce flash. I LOVE my Fong!. I use regular softboxes in my studio room but for on location the Fong is the way to go in my opinion. Again...nice shots!

I wouldn't call it a "softbox"
    "Tupperware"? Yeah that more closely describes it.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    The things that cought my eye the most was in number 3 besides the shadow was the lens flair i could say clean those up. and in number six there is a stray hair that goes horizontally around the area of her eye I would have taken that out. other people my have said that also i did not read ever response fully. but on another not it looks like you two had a good time and it looks like you had a lot of success.

Thanks, ya... I haven't done any editing yet... Waiting on the girl to decide which ones she wants. Still haven't heard from her. :cry (her grandma died friday)
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    The train tracks are an interesting backdrop, but the lighting is not as good as the others. Careful with the big logos. The big Hollister logo across her shirt is distracting.
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I agree with the previous poster that some of these are too provocative. The most alluring thing about a model to me is the eyes and facial structure and I don't see that here. Body positioning could also be a little better to hint and sexiness (i.e. s-curves) rather than straight sex.

I'm not sure that if I was creating a modeling portfolio, this is the route I would go. But, that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2008
    On a Senior photo shoot am I supposed to tell them what to wear? I just say that they can change 6 times if wanted.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Ask them to bring several outfits. Very few patterns if possible. Hats are good too if it goes with the outfit. Yes! Tell them to bring 6 outfits if they need to.:ivar

I go to numerous locations during a shoot (depending on the light and theme of what they are wearing). Not each location may go with the theme of what they are wearing.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    Al WAl W Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2008
    Great shots
    I'd just recommend working on more variety with facial expressions and head position. Nice work overall!! :-)
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    On a Senior photo shoot am I supposed to tell them what to wear? I just say that they can change 6 times if wanted.

Yes, because if you don't at least give them guidelines (no logos, solid or unobtrusive colors, etc.), they will inevitably wear their favorite outfit, which will be the worst for photos.
  • Options
    sweet home clairesweet home claire Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2008
    #12 is my favorite. :)

I tell ya, I love your composition! And with the jumping picture, I love it just like it is - as far as composition and cropping are concerned. I love the simple background, and I love the way the road comes into her waist.

To me, the two things IMO you need to work on (and I can't believe I'm saying this, because they are the two things I need most work on too!) is lighting and focal point.

Asbolutely get you a Fong Dong! Best thing EVER!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    #12 is my favorite. :)

I tell ya, I love your composition! And with the jumping picture, I love it just like it is - as far as composition and cropping are concerned. I love the simple background, and I love the way the road comes into her waist.

To me, the two things IMO you need to work on (and I can't believe I'm saying this, because they are the two things I need most work on too!) is lighting and focal point.

Asbolutely get you a Fong Dong! Best thing EVER!

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II