My Family:ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited April 15, 2005 in People
Thirty years ago. In Vincennes, Indiana. That was above the park, it was a wonderful family place to live. That is me on the left, my teenager, Scott, is with me. My husband, then, Lary, is leaning on the car, Sara is below him and Jonathan is next to her. My teenager, the oldest, Julie who is now 45, she is on top of the car.

I miss that. I had a working darkroom in the downstairs bathroom in that house. Big enlarger, chemicals and all. We lived there about 5 or 6 yrs. Lary was assistant professor of Commercial art at Vincennes University, a junior college.

Each of those kids is still alive, they each have two kids. None of them live near me. Think of the photo ops I had........and the grandchildren, photo city, but not here.

ginger
19613951-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    AhhhhHaaaa, the VW Bus explains it all. You were a hippie in the 70's eh Ginger? lol3.giflol3.gif Following the Grateful Dead around and all that? Laughing.gif J/K

A beautiful family and glad all are still healthy clap.gif Man, with 8 grandkids and, as you point out, with all those photo ops going un-photo'd, I'd be packing up the Microbus and hitting the road towards the nearest set of grandkids. Yeah, I know it costs $. But you can always make more $. You can never make more time ne_nau.gif

I don't mean to lay a guilt trip on ya (hey that's a 60's saying huh?...lol), but that's just the way I think.

Anyhow Ginger, you have a beautiful family and you have every right to be proud of them :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 13, 2005
    AhhhhHaaaa, the VW Bus explains it all. You were a hippie in the 70's eh Ginger? lol3.giflol3.gif Following the Grateful Dead around and all that? Laughing.gif J/K

Steve

A very lovely Christmas card, Ginger, and a slice out of time itself. You all look very happy in that picture from long ago. I hope you are all still as happy today!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 14, 2005
    wow G, a double VW family. You were (are) the coolest!!!
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Ah Ginger thnxs for sharing. I hope you get to see your family often enough even tho they aren't close..
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Thanks you all. The yellow bus was the family car, bought new, etc. The little red bug, I waited a couple of years until the dealer called and said he had the right bug for me. We were about to leave for a swimming meet in Evansville, so I said I will take it. I bought my car over the phone, and it was the best car. On top of that, it was the most "mine" of any car I owned, ever.

The kids ran away from home...........I would say, "where is my car". Julie left it at the bus station. Scott took it with him. I wanted to have him arrested. My husband and the police kept talking me out of it. Finally he and the car did return. As had Julie a couple of years before that. Minor teenage glitches, but no one was supposed to involve my car. I always appreciated Julie for leaving it at the bus station.

At the time, I was just living a life. In retrospect, I loved that life. We had a big gathering this past Thanksgiving. I have trouble getting away. The biggest reason is actually the dogs. Bill spends so much time out of town, and boarding them would not only cost a fortune, they would have to have shots that I don't believe in.

Thanks for the comments. At that time I kind of related to Jane Fonda. I did not realize how some people felt about her.

I did volunteer photography for a children's group, worked part time at the paper for a bit, sat on that big porch at night and listened to those bugs make noise.

ginger (Then it was Nikons all the way. Two of them, so two different lenses always available)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    thanks for sharing Ginger.. thats a lovely story and a great shot iloveyou.gif
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Ginger, what a blessing. I'm sorry you can't be closer to your grand children. They are very special as you know.

Both you and Lary must be proud. Did you ever think that the love you and Lary had for each other would equal the lives of 4 children and 8 grand children plus their spouses? That's 16 people.

I love reading the Bible... In the book of John he writes,
    "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." John 21:25

Your Christmas picture tells a 1000 words. If you had every photo op of the 16 beautiful lives I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the photo albums that would be filled and the words written about them.

The ones you do have are enough to believe. You have done well.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Great slice of life photo. Thanks for sharing it, and the memories. Kinda helps remind me of the true value of photography.

Lee
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    thanks for the stories
    that made me sit back and have 'serious' thoughts about my life.

ginger_55 wrote:
    Thirty years ago. In Vincennes, Indiana. That was above the park, it was a wonderful family place to live. That is me on the left, my teenager, Scott, is with me. My husband, then, Lary, is leaning on the car, Sara is below him and Jonathan is next to her. My teenager, the oldest, Julie who is now 45, she is on top of the car.

I miss that. I had a working darkroom in the downstairs bathroom in that house. Big enlarger, chemicals and all. We lived there about 5 or 6 yrs. Lary was assistant professor of Commercial art at Vincennes University, a junior college.

Each of those kids is still alive, they each have two kids. None of them live near me. Think of the photo ops I had........and the grandchildren, photo city, but not here.

ginger
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....