Options

Stolen Images

NoelimagesNoelimages Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited June 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Pardon me if this has been discussed before but as of late I have seen a few of my images on other sites w/o my authorization. I use the right click protection and I watermark all of my images but that does not stop the theives. In one case, the thumbnails were printed using print screen and cropped in photoshop. Thumbnails are not watermarked so they made great headshots. 2nd the traditionnal screen print of the larger image and cropped in photoshop was discovered on a networking website with the watermark.

WTH? I'm really frustrated and I have an idea why my web sales are not as good as they could be. What eles can I do to prevent this?

Comments

• Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Can you post the URLS of the stolen images?

First thing is to contact then and ask then to either remove the images or pay for the non-exclusive right to use them.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Can you post the URLS of the stolen images?

First thing is to contact then and ask then to either remove the images or pay for the non-exclusive right to use them.

Good Luck!

Tameka-Strip.jpg?0.3852475256339274

This person contacted me after posting the images and asked for permission. As you can see, these are thumbnails that have been screen printed and cropped in photoshop.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    With custom watermarks you can apply the watermarks to thumbnails...
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Noelimages wrote:
    This person contacted me after posting the images and asked for permission. As you can see, these are thumbnails that have been screen printed and cropped in photoshop.

Watermark thumbnails? And use a watermark across the entire image like the one that Andy uses?
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Watermark thumbnails? And use a watermark across the entire image like the one that Andy uses?

Link please. I'm not sure that I have seen a watermark on thumbnails. This still does not prevent theft especially for the the myspace generation.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Noelimages wrote:
    Link please. I'm not sure that I have seen a watermark on thumbnails. This still does not prevent theft especially for the the myspace generation.
    Note: I'm assuming that you have a pro account on smugmug:

Watermark thumbnails: Try it yourself on one of your own galleries.
    314943291_tVfAc-M.jpg

As for theft, it will happen; if it can be publicly seen on the web, it can be copied (saved from the cache, print screen, etc). If you are that concern about theft, don't post it on the web. Right click protection, java blocking, etc. (on all photo sharing sites) are just speed-bumps along the way.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Thanks I was unaware of the thumbnail feature. I guess I'm going to have to get over the theft thing or not post them on the web. For some reason it really pisses me off to no end. I going to a new web page (keeping sm for my gallery) in August from that point forward I'm considering password protecting all of my galleries.