Options

Help with Fireworks

webwizardwebwizard Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited June 30, 2008 in Finishing School
I got some good images of fireworks bursts from the 4th of July. I'd like to combine several in a single image. I tried using layers with 50% opacity but that just makes the colors look washed out. One approach I considered was to mask one burst and fill in an empty spot in another image but I'd also like to overlay 2-3 images for an explosion of color. I'm sure this has been done before, I just don't know how to get started. CAn anyone suggest an approach? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    webwizard wrote:
    I got some good images of fireworks bursts from the 4th of July. I'd like to combine several in a single image. I tried using layers with 50% opacity but that just makes the colors look washed out. One approach I considered was to mask one burst and fill in an empty spot in another image but I'd also like to overlay 2-3 images for an explosion of color. I'm sure this has been done before, I just don't know how to get started. CAn anyone suggest an approach? Thanks

If you post the images, it will be easier to suggest solutions.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    314937670_9zhoy-XL.jpg

314937627_hq2zL-XL.jpg

314937733_roQTQ-XL.jpg

Richard,
    Here are 3 that I've been experimenting with. I'd like to understand how to overlay these and make one image with the same vibrant colors.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    You can start by creating a three layer image in PS with each image on a separate layer. Then change the blending mode of the top two layers to one of the lightening modes. I used lighter color mode and changed nothing else here:

314998956_bXewi-XL.jpg

This should give you the basic framework, though you will probably want to make further layer-specific changes to get a more pleasing image.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Thanks Richard, That's what I was looking for. Now for some fun!:D
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I know from working on video with Final Cut Pro that you can actually delete a black background by doing a (difference, subtract) mask, I can't remember off the top of my head which one does the black backgrounds and which one does the white. Anyway, those are commonly used with keying especially with green screen type stuff. Photoshop might have a similar set of tools. But the process for video would go as such (layer the images having one as the background, then key out the black of the images on top of the background) the process if available in photoshop would be similar.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com