Dragon Flies...

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited June 20, 2008 in Holy Macro
I hope they qualify as wildlife. I took these today. C&C welcome.

Question I have is even though I've run a series of test using different F/Stop settings 2.8 to 22, I can't seem to get the depth of field correct in Apeture Priority mode so that the entire dragonfly is in focus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

314949197_ZApJw-L.jpg

314942376_wK47L-L.jpg

314953490_HPubm-L.jpg

314916206_WyP7q-L.jpg

314910005_Zwpti-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    They ain't ildlife but tehy are cool shots. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    They ain't ildlife but tehy are cool shots. :D

Thanks Harry. If the forum admin wants to move to Other Cool Shots then please do. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Love these clap.gif Did you use your 100 macro?
    edited June 17, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Love these clap.gif Did you use your 100 macro?

Glad you like. I did actually use my 100mm.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Glad you like. I did actually use my 100mm.

Isn't the dof two shallow on that lens to get a sharp dragon fly when viewing him head on?headscratch.gif
    edited June 17, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Isn't the dof two shallow on that lens to get a sharp dragon fly when viewing him head on?headscratch.gif

That could be my issue though I thought I could compensate for some of that by adjusting the F/Stops. headscratch.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    << I thought I could compensate for some of that by adjusting the F/Stops >>

For a head-on / or 3/4 shot ... no chance if you're trying to fill the frame (at the mags involved ... even tho it's nowhere near 1:1) ... one of the reasons you see lots of profile shots of DFs / insects where they're also fairly small in the frame. (assuming uncropped)

Stopping down below f11 or so takes you well and truly into 'compromise land' ... gain a bit of extra dof - but lose sharpness thro' diffraction.

Also, greater the mag, thinner the dof eg ... from my mpe65 booklet... all at f16

1 x mag, dof 2.24mm
    3 x mag, dof 0.5 mm
    5 x mag, dof 0.27 mm

Need a lot of 11 thou slices at 5 x for a complete DF head :)

Only way round this is to focus stack - which isn't always practical :)

Suggest you have a shufties at some of Brian v's tuts on the macro forum.

Here's one as a sampler.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58028

pp
    edited June 17, 2008
    Terrific information!!!! Thank you sooooo much.
    << I thought I could compensate for some of that by adjusting the F/Stops >>

For a head-on / or 3/4 shot ... no chance if you're trying to fill the frame (at the mags involved ... even tho it's nowhere near 1:1) ... one of the reasons you see lots of profile shots of DFs / insects where they're also fairly small in the frame. (assuming uncropped)

Stopping down below f11 or so takes you well and truly into 'compromise land' ... gain a bit of extra dof - but lose sharpness thro' diffraction.

Also, greater the mag, thinner the dof eg ... from my mpe65 booklet... all at f16

1 x mag, dof 2.24mm
    3 x mag, dof 0.5 mm
    5 x mag, dof 0.27 mm

Need a lot of 11 thou slices at 5 x for a complete DF head :)

Only way round this is to focus stack - which isn't always practical :)

Suggest you have a shufties at some of Brian v's tuts on the macro forum.

Here's one as a sampler.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58028

pp
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    I hope they qualify as wildlife. I took these today. C&C welcome.

Question I have is even though I've run a series of test using different F/Stop settings 2.8 to 22, I can't seem to get the depth of field correct in Apeture Priority mode so that the entire dragonfly is in focus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes well wouldn't we just love it if they would make a lens that keeps things in focus no matter how close you get to the subject nod.gif

You'll notice Brian does a lot of focus stacked shot, but he also has a great understanding of DOF and truly has a remarkable ability when it comes to shooting MACRO ... I am forever in awe of his work :D

I hope Brian replies to your post and share more of his knowledge in the field of MACRO Photography with you and the forum thumb.gif

Dont forget to look at the TUTORIALS Brian has put on the forum too http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50752

I think Image #3 is the pick of the bunch with these.
    You had a pretty good day by the looks of it .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Dragonfly shots are tough! I have very few. And yeah, it's almost impossible to get the entire body in focus without making some sort of sacrifice either by backing up then cropping or using an extremely narrow aperture. I haven't done many focus stacks. They're rarely still long enough for me to get one shot, much less 4 or 6.

I'm sure it varies a bit from copy to copy, but don't be afraid to stop your 100mm macro way down. My copy does fine up close down around f22 - f25 if you are very steady (even flash syncing to a 1/200 shutter speed loses a lot of detail to cam shake) or have a prop. The bokeh does begin to take on a less attractive smootheness below about f16. A lot of subject to background seperation helps a lot.

I won't post pics in your thread but here's a few links to some shots of mine stopped way down.

f22, 1/200, iso 200. I don't think I even opened it in photoshop.

http://WilliamClark77.smugmug.com/photos/262316009_AKU2w-L.jpg

f16, 1/200, iso 100. No usm applied

http://WilliamClark77.smugmug.com/photos/278047119_Ymg3e-L.jpg

{Edit} Doh! Posted same pic twice
    edited June 20, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Yes well wouldn't we just love it if they would make a lens that keeps things in focus no matter how close you get to the subject nod.gif

You'll notice Brian does a lot of focus stacked shot, but he also has a great understanding of DOF and truly has a remarkable ability when it comes to shooting MACRO ... I am forever in awe of his work :D

I hope Brian replies to your post and share more of his knowledge in the field of MACRO Photography with you and the forum thumb.gif

Dont forget to look at the TUTORIALS Brian has put on the forum too http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50752

I think Image #3 is the pick of the bunch with these.
    You had a pretty good day by the looks of it .... Skippy :D

Thanks for the feedback Skippy. I'll definitely be looking into the tutorials by the master!
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com