How to clean the INSIDE of a lens

nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited June 27, 2008 in Cameras
I've cleaned both camera bodies and I still see this piece of hair in the upper left hand corner of my pics. So, I'm guessing it is inside of the lens....is this even possible? I've cleaned the lens, top and bottom, but the hair refuses to budge. Any ideas?
Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    nightspidy wrote:
    I've cleaned both camera bodies and I still see this piece of hair in the upper left hand corner of my pics. So, I'm guessing it is inside of the lens....is this even possible? I've cleaned the lens, top and bottom, but the hair refuses to budge. Any ideas?

ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif send it in to be professionally cleaned......that details taking the lens apart.....not something I would want to try ..........ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Hair in the viewfinder or the actual image?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    If you can see the hair it is not in or on your lens. It is something still attached to your imager. Use a small LED light to see the imager more easily and remember that images are inverted compared to the scene.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 17, 2008
    nightspidy wrote:

Just to clarify: You are seeing the hair in the same place on pics shot using one lens and two different bodies. Is that correct?
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I'm guessing it's in the camera body. I once found what I believed to be an eyelash in one of mine just lounging about on the focus screen.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Unless you're shooting mostly stopped down to f45 or something, you shouldn't really be able to "see" anything in or on the lens in your pictures, its just too far from the plane of focus. A fuzzy dark spot, yes, if you've got a big something in the lens, but nothing identifiable.

If it's fairly obviously a hair, and it shows up in your photos (not the viewfinder) then it's on the sensor, and you'll need to clean it.

Normally, even if some dust accumulates in the lens over time, all you'll notice is MAYBE some darkening, more likely a little flare as the dust picks up stray light and scatters it.
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Update
    Ok, just to clarify....I am using 1 lens and 2 camera bodies. The hair is in the exact same place on both bodies. How do I go about sending in this lens for a cleaning?
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    You need to go to www.canonusa.com and work your way down through their Support menu to get to the info about Canon Factory Service. They will want the serial number of the lens.

I have had several items serviced by CFS in Jamesburg New Jersey. There is a service center on the west coast as well.

CFS does an excellent job, and usually your equipment is returned in 7 - 10 days after they receive authorization for payment. They will email you an estimate of the cost if the repair is not a warranty repair. Unless the lens is new, this may not be considered a warranty situation. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thank you :D