Big Island Sunset

Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited June 25, 2008 in Landscapes

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Lots of views and no posts so here I go (punishing myself for being first):

The Sun has artifacts, the dark area near the corona, is a distraction.

Some fill light upon the subject would improve this image a lot. If you have a RAW version try redoing it in PS CS3 with some fill and then add some recovery to where you like it. Even pull back some saturation a little bit.

Composition is good.

Cheers,

David
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Like to share this one with you all....Enjoy, peter

This image shows a great moodwings.gif

I do agree it needs a bit of fill light as I really want to see just a little more info in the persons face.
  • Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2008

I do agree it needs a bit of fill light as I really want to see just a little more info in the persons face.

I guess we all see things in different ways (thats what makes us Artists/photographers) I edit in Adobe Lightroom & photoshop CS3 so as you all know slapping a little fill light in is a few seconds work.
    Maybe the image would look better with more fill; I don't know.
    All I can say in defense of this image is that I wanted the mystic that the darkened surfer gives.
    In my mind the image needed a little fill on the shoulders to add a more depth to the image..
    Thanks (I really mean it) for the input,we all learn by listing to our fellow Artists.
    edited June 21, 2008
    Lots of views and no posts so here I go (punishing myself for being first):

The Sun has artifacts, the dark area near the corona, is a distraction.

Some fill light upon the subject would improve this image a lot. If you have a RAW version try redoing it in PS CS3 with some fill and then add some recovery to where you like it. Even pull back some saturation a little bit.

Composition is good.

Cheers,

David

Aloha David, Thanks for the creative input I hadn't noticed the artifacts around the sun until you pointed it out. Ouch! thats all I see now. On closer inspection (see you have me inspecting it now) I find the sun rays on the water more distracting.
    I Don't agree on the fill light as I want the surfer in shadow. I only shoot raw and do use lightroom & Photoshop CS3.
    Thanks for the input David, we all learn from our fellow Artists/Photographers.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008

I agree here...........but I would have like more fore ground.....I would have known that was a surfer if you hadn't said so......this hot could have been taken in a pool with the setting sun........with more foreground then the mystique of the surfer may have been achieved without fill on his face.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 21, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I agree here...........but I would have like more fore ground.....I would have known that was a surfer if you hadn't said so......this hot could have been taken in a pool with the setting sun........with more foreground then the mystique of the surfer may have been achieved without fill on his face.........

Aloha,
    Your totally right! I know its a surf shot because I shot the image. But with the limited foreground your right it could have been taken in a pool. Let me dig the image out and re-work the moment...............I will put it up later for you.
    Mahalo, Peter
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Eh Bradduh!
    I like your shot, Peter. The ocean horizon is obvious enough for me... I don't see 'swimming pool' at all.

Was this the sunset of Monday the 16th? I was at Pahoehoe beach park:

317228429_xqtHk-XL.jpg

For those that don't know, the latest phase of volcanic activity here, which started in March, keeps Kona immersed in a thick smoglike haze most of the time now. So nice sunsets like these are no longer the norm (even this one is weraing some PS makeup). Our general light quality now is far less photogenic. Drab yet garish. At least that's the excuse I'm going with for now...

Peace,
    Sanaka

EDIT: Typo on the place name where this shot was taken (Pahoehoe not Laupahoehoe).
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
    edited June 25, 2008
    Aloha,
    I live close by Laupahoehoe but this image was taken at Hapuna Beach Park. I take most (I have lots) of my sunsets on the Kona side. Sorry don't remember the dat off hand.
    Mahalo, Peter
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Cool.

I bet my post was a little confusing, as that sunset angle is likely not available at Laupahoehoe! I was actually at Pahoehoe beach park, on Alii Drive, a handy place to take the kids for a little rec time.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
    edited June 25, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Cool.

I bet my post was a little confusing, as that sunset angle is likely not available at Laupahoehoe! I was actually at Pahoehoe beach park, on Alii Drive, a handy place to take the kids for a little rec time.

Peace,
    Sanaka

It was very confusing but i didnt want to say so on the forum. Laupahoehoe is close to my home and it never gets a sun set!
    I am a little ways up the coast and as such we get the sunrise every morning directly (I live by the ocean) in front of us.
    we also see the sun set over Maui from our front lawn.