Options

Possible to send link that forces different initial style?

snappitysnappity Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited June 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
This is something that has driven me nuts ever since you put up the latest default style. For security reasons, my employer blocks most "active content" in Internet Explorer. As a result, the default SmugMug style (which I generally like otherwise) is broken -- and won't show any images at all -- when viewed via IE by my co-workers. The SmugMug style works fine in Firefox, but not everyone has Firefox on their systems.

Generally, the traditional style works in IE, but it has to be selected by the viewer after getting a broken page. And today, I found that when I select Traditional, it does not "take" -- I'm able to select it in the pull-down but the change is not committed and the page does not refresh (this used to work; did you change how that menu works recently?).

I really don't want to change the style to "traditional", especially since that pins down the style and the viewer cannot change it -- I do not see a way to change the initial style and still allow viewer control. So, is there any way that I can, say, generate a link to send to IE-using co-workers that will allow them to browse my pictures? And is there some reason why whatever (I assume) flash-based thing you are doing in Firefox won't work in IE?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Hi, it's not flash but javascript, and I can't say why/how your employer is blocking it :(

Sure, how about sending a /Large Link?
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/5004377_rYQfZ/1/300165369_GBXxV/Large

would that work?
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, it's not flash but javascript, and I can't say why/how your employer is blocking it :(

Sure, how about sending a /Large Link?
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/5004377_rYQfZ/1/300165369_GBXxV/Large

would that work?
    Yes and no. Yes in that the resulting page will load, and I did use this in the past to send a link that wouldn't be broken, along with an instruction to immediately switch to tradtiional. But as things now stand they still will be in the SmugMug style and clicking on the gallery page will break again. So something that I could put in the URL to specify an initial style would be really cool.

If there really is nothing in there except for javascript (no activex or embedded objects, for example) then I might take a stab at getting our firewall folks to look at it, although they are predicatably loathe to bother with anything that isn't clearly "work related" :-(
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    So, lacking other options, I dealt with this by uploading a copy of my gallery to picasaweb :-(
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Does your company block websites using WebSense? Smugmug is a blocked site. My custom domain works, but there are references in the page code to javascript files at smugmug.com, so they get blocked. Choosing "traditional" works fine for me though. It "sticks" so I don't have to choose it every time.

Easy fix (at least for my problem) would be for smugmug to use our custom domains everywhere in the code.

Dave
  • Options
    mrehermreher Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2008
    Websense
    Our company blocks it as well and it is blocked under the topic of 'mass storage'