i sussed out the Nikon 105mm 2.8, but i don think this is macro enough for me

anything else?

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    i own a d80 and i'm looking for a really good macro lense
    help?

i sussed out the Nikon 105mm 2.8, but i don think this is macro enough for me

anything else?

Not sure what you mean by not macro enough - all true prime macros will have a maximum magnification of 1 :1 no matter what the focal length is- longer focal length ones simply have a longer minimum focus distance.

All the macro lenses by major manufacturers around 100mm are extremely sharp - Tamron 90, Tokina 100, sigma 1095, Nikon 105.

The only more powerful macro lens around is a canon only fit MPE-65 which goes from 1:1 to 5:1 magnification.

brian V.
  • frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    sorry i just mean the 105mm wasnt a true macro? or so i've read

ill check out the other ones u mentioned
    thanx
  • frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR or Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di

i'm leaning towards Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di

can i get an opinion
  • Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I've got the:

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

And I like it very much. The performance of the lens is certainly exceeding my capability.

However, had I the option to go back and do it again, I'd consider finding a primo example of the version before mine, without AFS and VR. VR helps when you're at 1:2 or possibly more, but it doesn't do much for you at distances approaching 1:1. VR is not free, and I find myself not using mine for non-macro work, so I paid for the VR and am not really using it.

AFS is nice, but again, I find myself manually focussing this lens more than using AF for it. My tendency is to shoot flowers or other still objects, maybe if I were into insects more, I'd use the AF more. I don't know.

However, it is a fine lens, my first "pro" glass and I'm very satisfied with it.

One owner's opinion.

J.
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Canon user here - never used a Tamron SP90 AF ... only the old FD (MF) version (with home-made adaptor) ... and was v.satisfied with the results.

Few months ago bought a Tamron 180 macro AF... and again, v. satisfied - for what I need it for (only use manual focus) ... and approx half the price of the equivalent Canon lens.

Plenty of reviews around for this sort of gear :)

Couple of pix with above gear

sp90 (lower pic)
    http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403&highlight=

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5060&highlight=

pp