Scouting landscape

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited June 21, 2008 in Landscapes
I recently rediscovered some images from 2005 I shot waiting for my son and other Boy Scouts. I always liked the composition of this image, but the light was very dull from an overcast sky.

After considerable post-processing, I like this version best and cropped to 16:9:

315450192_iKwGQ-X3.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Outstanding
    This is just a great shot. Great contrast, strong color, and the depth of clouds hits my sweet spot. Oh, and the composition is lovely too.
    May I ask, how you brought out the clouds like this? Is this an HDR?
    Thanks,

M
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I recently rediscovered some images from 2005 I shot waiting for my son and other Boy Scouts. I always liked the composition of this image, but the light was very dull from an overcast sky.

After considerable post-processing, I like this version best and cropped to 16:9:

Very cool ziggy... i like it a lot... it might look great in black and white too (what with those fantastic clouds)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 18, 2008
    This is just a great shot. Great contrast, strong color, and the depth of clouds hits my sweet spot. Oh, and the composition is lovely too.
    May I ask, how you brought out the clouds like this? Is this an HDR?
    Thanks,

M

Thanks Miguel,

I'll give some details about the processing later, but I am trying to garnish some comments first about the overall qualities of the scene and if I achieved something satisfying to a broad audience first.
    ziggy53
    edited June 18, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Very cool ziggy... i like it a lot... it might look great in black and white too (what with those fantastic clouds)

Thanks Nikhil,

I did take a look at some B&W treatments but I lose some drama from the red building against the green, unless I really mess with the tones a lot.
    ziggy53
  • ktdidktdid Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    I personally can't comment on the more technical aspects since I pretty much don't know what I'm doing :), but I can say that this shot is very appealing to me. I think it is well composed and, well, I just like it. I'm sure there are more vocabulary words for me to tell you why I like it, but I don't know them yet.

I'm going back and forth on the little branchy things hanging into the top of the shot from the big tree on the left. I'm not sure how I feel about them.

I do like this shot very much, though! thumb.gif
    edited June 19, 2008
    ktdid wrote:
    I personally can't comment on the more technical aspects since I pretty much don't know what I'm doing :), but I can say that this shot is very appealing to me. I think it is well composed and, well, I just like it. I'm sure there are more vocabulary words for me to tell you why I like it, but I don't know them yet.

I'm going back and forth on the little branchy things hanging into the top of the shot from the big tree on the left. I'm not sure how I feel about them.

I do like this shot very much, though! thumb.gif

Ktdid,

Thanks for the comments.

I did consider removing the branches from the tree but in the end I was trying to keep the original scene elements as original as possible, even though the tonality is completely different from the original.

Before I posted this thread I put the image onto a 30x20 "canvas/border" (in PhotoShop) and then ordered prints at 30" x 20" and they just came today. I can say that at that size, the branch "stubs" seem justified in that they both fill the empty space and direct the viewer into the scene.
    ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks Miguel,

I'll give some details about the processing later, but I am trying to garnish some comments first about the overall qualities of the scene and if I achieved something satisfying to a broad audience first.

I like it a lot. thumb.gif Great composition, wonderful sky and splash of red to boot. I am not looking at it on a calibrated montior, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it might help to lower the saturation of the yellow just a bit. It looks a little too strong to me. ne_nau.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Hey ziggy happy to see a post from you againclap.gif

I also enjoy this composition and treetment. However, the sticks play an important part in connecting the tree with the wrest of the subject by breaking up the line created by the trunk. Therefore I would have liked to see a few more. I know they were not there but........

Technically, the background is getting lighter near the trunk where I assume a gradated mask goes to white. This mask should really be hard up to the tree trunk allowing the clouds to be as dark near the trunk as they are in the center of the sky. Just some improvement thoughts thumb.gif
    edited June 20, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    I like it a lot. thumb.gif Great composition, wonderful sky and splash of red to boot. I am not looking at it on a calibrated montior, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it might help to lower the saturation of the yellow just a bit. It looks a little too strong to me. ne_nau.gif

Thanks Richard,

While lowering the saturation of the yellows also reduced the "pop" of the scene, altering the hue of the yellows towards green and then a slight lightening of the greens looks very nice.

I am experimenting with it. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited June 20, 2008
    Hey ziggy happy to see a post from you againclap.gif

I also enjoy this composition and treetment. However, the sticks play an important part in connecting the tree with the wrest of the subject by breaking up the line created by the trunk. Therefore I would have liked to see a few more. I know they were not there but........

Technically, the background is getting lighter near the trunk where I assume a gradated mask goes to white. This mask should really be hard up to the tree trunk allowing the clouds to be as dark near the trunk as they are in the center of the sky. Just some improvement thoughts thumb.gif

Marc,

Thanks so much for the comments. Since both you and Ktdid mention the tree limbs, I'll see what I can do. I will probably graft something from another image.

I guess it's time to reveal the original image:

316507730_rqAfB-X3.jpg

Note the rather poor lighting and add to that the fact that I only shot JPGs (my bad).

The clouds did form an interesting pattern in the sky and the combination of a rolling hillside and unusual shade from the tree lent to the visual composition.

I used a product called "Dynamic Photo HDR" in its "Eye-Catching" and "FITYMI" (Fake It Till You Make It) mode which applies an HDR-like tone-mapping process to the scene. Then into PS CS2 for all additional processing.
    ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Beautiful ! iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    ziggy

Good to see the original.

I think you did a good job on your post with two exceptions. One being the crop and the other being the black point. The density change was needed and the extra contrast is very nice maybe a tad too much. The black point is too dark and the soft feel of the rolling hills is lost. If you are using sliders to set the bk point just dont slide so far right, if you are using a curves or levels layer in PS to set the bk point just change the opacity of the layer to 50%ne_nau.gif or something close.
    edited June 20, 2008
    OK, a complete redo.

316571610_hVNux-X3.jpg

I kept the clouds and much of the mystery of the principle tree (from the HDR software), created seperate layers for the hills/grass and the rest. Treated the hills (yellow) like I replied to Richard (yellow tones pushed toward green and slight lightening of greens). Kept a more normal black point in the grass. Now the hills have a more gradual transition from lighter to darker and a more natural feel overall. This also allowed a 6x4 crop and I kept more sky and tree limbs, as well as a bit more foreground.
    ziggy53
    edited June 20, 2008
    Beautiful ! iloveyou.gif

Thanks Awais,

I do wish there had been a bit more sun, but sometimes you take what you get.
    ziggy53
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK, a complete redo.

Much better, IMO. thumb.gif It might be compression artefacts, but some of the trees look a little crunchy on my screen. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 21, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Much better, IMO. thumb.gif It might be compression artefacts, but some of the trees look a little crunchy on my screen. ne_nau.gif

Thanks Richard,

I noticed that too. Partly because I used sharpening after I resampled for the Web and then SmugMug does sharpening on the preview sizes (so the image was double sharpened) and partly because the trees in question had way too much red in them from too much processing. I also reworked the red building to reduce some color noise resulting from excess processing.

Here is a more pleasing (hopefully) final image:

317070633_gtJkk-O.jpg
    ziggy53
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Hey Ziggy, great clouds! The thing that I keep missing in these shots is the detail in the cloud highlights. There's nice shadows and shapes in there but the blown out bits get in the way for me.

Lovely spot! :D
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Ziggy, great clouds! The thing that I keep missing in these shots is the detail in the cloud highlights. There's nice shadows and shapes in there but the blown out bits get in the way for me.

Hi Ziggy,
    To me that photo is brilliant and I love it just as much as you do. Well done.clap.gif
    Regards
    Bob
    edited June 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Schmoo 'tis true, those clouds are blown in areas. I checked the original and those large white areas are indeed 254,254,254. Short of painting something back in, not too much I can do.

I may visit the site again some day, but for now it is what it is. I think that's partly why I originally went with a crop which included much less sky.

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    edited June 21, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Ziggy,
    To me that photo is brilliant and I love it just as much as you do. Well done.clap.gif
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks Bob,

It's turned into quite a project, but it's a labor of love.
    ziggy53