Options

Help! Google Search displaying private photos

planzplanz Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited June 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi All, I need some help.

I was fooling around with the homepage slideshow, when I thought I would do a google search on my name "philip lanz" to see what would show up in my bio.

To my shock all my photos from private galleries are being shown. Two in particular are password protected and I have external links off and hello world set off.

Other photos are from open galleries but I had restricted the ability do right mouse saving photos, however this can be done from what's found on the google search.

Please help as I do not want these photos displayed there.

Thanks
Phil Lanz

Comments

• Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    planz wrote:
    Hi All, I need some help.

Please help as I do not want these photos displayed there.

Thanks
    Phil Lanz

Phil - I'm curious which galleries are showing up? I found your home page, and an RSS feed. What else is showing up that shouldn't?

Mike.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Were you logged in? ear.gif

did you use a feeds link? ear.gif
    Example, try this link, logged in and logged out of SmugMug

http://planz.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=planz&format=rss200
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Phil - I'm curious which galleries are showing up? I found your home page, and an RSS feed. What else is showing up that shouldn't?

Mike.

Hi Mike

The galleries don't show up on my homepage because they're unlisted, but they are in my Family category.

Phil
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    I guess what I meant was, when you do the Google search, what are you seeing? Like Andy says, are you logged in when you do the Google search, or logged out?

Mike.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Were you logged in? ear.gif

did you use a feeds link? ear.gif
    Example, try this link, logged in and logged out of SmugMug

http://planz.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=planz&format=rss200

Hi Andy

Ok, I'm not sure what that's doing, but.....if I'm logged in, the private photos show when I use your link. When I log out they no longer show.

However, the other half of the problem remains in that the public photos show, which is ok, but they can be saved which I really don't like.
    Not that I'm the greatest photographer, but....

Is there anyway to prevent that like we can within smugmug.

Phil
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    planz wrote:
    Hi Andy

Ok, I'm not sure what that's doing, but.....if I'm logged in, the private photos show when I use your link. When I log out they no longer show.

However, the other half of the problem remains in that the public photos show, which is ok, but they can be saved which I really don't like.
    Not that I'm the greatest photographer, but....

Is there anyway to prevent that like we can within smugmug.

Phil
    Turn off external links thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Turn off external links thumb.gif

External links are off in all galleries, yet the photos are still available for downloading in the google search.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    planz wrote:
    External links are off in all galleries, yet the photos are still available for downloading in the google search.
    what's the google search please, I want to see it, and the results... thanks
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    what's the google search please, I want to see it, and the results... thanks

the google search is simply my name "philip lanz"

I tried to save the output for you but when I used the link it gave an error.

After searching on my name I get a selection for "Philip Lanz's recent photos"

Selecting that exposes my images and if I were logged in would also display my private images.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to give you the output.
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    I believe that the "recent photos" page will show your private photos if you are logged in, but will not show them if you are not logged in.

The only way that Google can get to one of your private galleries, is via a direct link to that gallery elsewhere on the web. Google won't have your private photos (unless they happened to be non-private at the point when Google crawled through your website)
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    planz wrote:
    the google search is simply my name "philip lanz"

I tried to save the output for you but when I used the link it gave an error.

After searching on my name I get a selection for "Philip Lanz's recent photos"

Selecting that exposes my images and if I were logged in would also display my private images.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to give you the output.
    Right - as Paul (above) says, you're logged in. When viewed from a logged out computer, you won't see those results in the recent photos feed.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Right - as Paul (above) says, you're logged in. When viewed from a logged out computer, you won't see those results in the recent photos feed.

Forgive me, but I'm new to this and not sure I understand.

I am logged out of my smugmug page, yet I still see my images in a google search.
    I have cleared the cache and researched and they still appear.

Are you saying that if you do the search you don't see my photos?

Phil
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    planz wrote:
    Forgive me, but I'm new to this and not sure I understand.

I am logged out of my smugmug page, yet I still see my images in a google search.
    I have cleared the cache and researched and they still appear.

Are you saying that if you do the search you don't see my photos?

Phil
    I'm saying that if you do that- photos in galleries with hello world set to "no" won't be indexed by Google. Nor will passworded and unlisted galleries. But if they were public, google could have indexed them - and they can be in googles claws until they de-index.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm saying that if you do that- photos in galleries with hello world set to "no" won't be indexed by Google. Nor will passworded and unlisted galleries. But if they were public, google could have indexed them - and they can be in googles claws until they de-index.

Thanks, I understand now.

Phil