I just wanted to point out that the 70-200 f/4 IS

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in Cameras
is just an absolutely AMAZING piece of glass.

Took it to the Bronx Zoo, and this shot is straight from the camera. No post processing other than converting from RAW to jpg and resizing for the web.

Dayum I love this lens. Now with it strapped to my 40D...:clap:clap:clap

vulture.jpg

And for the crop

vulturecrop.jpg
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    That is some outstanding detail, I felt the same way when i first took my 2.8 out!

wings.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Are you sure thatyour lens or senor did not get broke taking that portrait......seriously where are you finding those NY city models.....that is one damn fugly woman.........seriously send taht camera and lens to be properly gone thru to make sure it is not broken and in need of repair.....my evaluation won't take over 6 months............rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

GREAT PHOTO!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Are you sure thatyour lens or senor did not get broke taking that portrait......seriously where are you finding those NY city models.....that is one damn fugly woman.........seriously send taht camera and lens to be properly gone thru to make sure it is not broken and in need of repair.....my evaluation won't take over 6 months............rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

GREAT PHOTO!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Almost as fugly as this guy:

web.jpgwings.gif
  • TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Well, from multiple forums that I've read, the proper initiation for a new lens is to take pictures of a duck. I like to title this shot "My duck will eat your duck"
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
    Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I completely agree. After a bit of paranoia with mine, I switched bodies (my particular 30D seemed to have an issue with it) and learned a thing or two about how to use it and now I'm back in love. Now I could never sell it... except for that pesky f/2.8 IS.

315877127_pEmdY-L.jpg

315877939_8zYmV-L.jpg

315878861_FjkcR-L.jpg

315879391_GMTxw-L.jpg
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

I've gotta say Art. Your post made me laugh out loud. Thanks.rolleyes1.gif
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    One of the best lenses I have ever owned....
    I have fallen deeply in love with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and I use this lens for my general shooting and travel photography along with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on a pair of 1.6x cameras. I also have the 1.4x TC with me in case I need the extra range.

What a GREAT combination. I can shoot just about any subjects just about anywhere with these two lenses. (Macros and wildlife excluded - I ususlly use panos if I want wider imagery)

The 70-200mm f/4L IS lens is spectacular in image quality and build; and it can operate in surprisingly low light levels. I can shoot it 1/60 second with every expectation of sharp imagery and get a majority of my shots sharp at 1/30 second. Merge this with a camera like the 30D with great high ISO capability and this lens is an every-day; every-place shooter.

People often pan the 70-200mm f/4L IS because it is supposed to habe very soft at closest focus and 200mm. I did a quick test with mine and it seems fine.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    Well, from multiple forums that I've read, the proper initiation for a new lens is to take pictures of a duck. I like to title this shot "My duck will eat your duck"

Yep. I still see no duck shots. We might have to repo that lens in the interest of it's continued health and maintaining the standards of the L-club. blbl.gif
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Yep. I still see no duck shots. We might have to repo that lens in the interest of it's continued health and maintaining the standards of the L-club. blbl.gif

Those were ducks that were shot, they were so scared of that lens they morphed thinking they wouldn't get shot. Little did they know.... You can not hide from a Canon!