Jaine V

Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited June 27, 2008 in People
Aloha,
Just wanted to share this beautiful Hawaiian/Asian Model with you all.

Mahalo, Peter

Comments

• davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Peter, I dont mean to critique two of your shots in a day, I look for shots that have a lot of views and no posts.

Since I'm here I'll say I generally dislike the use of selective color on shots. So I don't like the use of it here. It is a distraction to the rest of the image IMHO.

This technique is actually taught is many photo courses to develope skills in this area. As such, many BAD images are created with the technique.

The technique is originally one that photographers and retoughers used using Marshall Oils. I've seen some fine hand coloured shots as well as digitial colored shots that mimick the old technique. However, just using one color is a very basic technique and IMHO doesn't improve this shot.

Cheers,
    David
  • Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Peter, I dont mean to critique two of your shots in a day, I look for shots that have a lot of views and no posts.

Since I'm here I'll say I generally dislike the use of selective color on shots. So I don't like the use of it here. It is a distraction to the rest of the image IMHO.

This technique is actually taught is many photo courses to develope skills in this area. As such, many BAD images are created with the technique.

The technique is originally one that photographers and retoughers used using Marshall Oils. I've seen some fine hand coloured shots as well as digitial colored shots that mimick the old technique. However, just using one color is a very basic technique and IMHO doesn't improve this shot.

Cheers,
    David

Thanks for the critique David. Also thanks for the info. What are Marshall oils? I am only familiar with the digital medium.
    I shot Nikon film for many years but never got into the lab. side of the industry, always had them developed for me. Now with the digital age its so much easier (not to mention cheaper) to experiment with color. I very much like the image, but; as with any artistic expresion its not for everyone.
    I own an Art Gallery here in Hawaii and as we say in the industry "There is no such thing as bad art" someone will just love it!

Mahalo, Peter
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    I agree with Dave on this one. I'd like to see full color version or even a b/w because I think the photo is technically great and the model beautiful. The selective color, though, makes her look like she died and the mortuary painted on some makeup. headscratch.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Only thing not to like about the shot is the selective color. Nice.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com