First Model

Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited June 20, 2008 in People
First time shooting shots tailored to modeling. Like to hear your imput.
p6087350_crop1666.jpg
p6087330_crop1944.jpg
p6087395_fillinthesky910.jpg
p6087504_crop1517.jpg
p6087580_crop_fillinthesky451.jpg
p6087659_crop_blur679.jpg

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    First off let me say she is a pretty young lady. Nice choice of model.

#1....I like the lighting and skin tones are nice. I think I get what you were doing with the pose...but the eyes are rolled too far back in my opinion and maybe if you were closer or at an angle that would'nt make her eyes be so far back.

#2...love the pose and skintones. I can even tolerate the brick wall or the tree on the right...but the pipe sticking out her back is distracting.

#3...the pose and the white of her dress are right on...so are her skin tone...but the sky in the background is washed a bit or there was a brush fire or campfire somewhere and it seems a bit smokey?

#4...SUPERthumb.gif I like everything about it!

#5...again the sky is washed a bit and the whole picture seems alittle flat. I don't care for the pose...it doesn't flatter her figure. Might be cause her legs are crossed making her hip/bum look larger than it is. JMO

#6....the background is not the best but the backlighting is great!thumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I agree. Nice choice of model. Backgrounds believe it or not are as important a consideration as the subject. #3 has the best setting. #4 could work incredibly well with some backlighting and creativitiy. The poses are all a bit "ho hum"...fairly flat towards the camera. The first pose just doesn't do it...nor the model justice....it's an upside down shot.

Take a custom white balance before you shoot and your processing will look better (heh, so will the model). Yellow is overruling your coloring on these.

Now having said all that, I think you did well for first time out. Look and look and look at lots of shots, magazines, Model Mayhem, OneModelPlace, etc. This will help you see the shoots in different ways. Models are a blast to photograph and really helps you stretch out as a photographer!thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    nice captures for the most part. What I noticed straight off is that 3,5,6 have a cloudy whie hazy look to them. In my eyes they need bit more contrast and darkening.

4 is my fav.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Agree pretty much agree with Swartzy on these.
    I'm not crazy about #5. Something about the pose is not flattering.
    #3 you could have done without the sky putting all the focus on her.
    I like 2, except for the bottom of the shoes.
    I like the idea in #1, but I feel her eyes are rolling a little too far into her head.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    thanks for all your comments.. I normally like to do fun capture of children and couples.. so coming up with a different style was interesting.. you are all so right about the haze.. the day we did the picture it was hot and really humid, it was almost like a light fog with water hanging in the air, in other words it was really yuck. lots of sweat on the upper lip. thanks again for the comments...
  • Morris On LocationMorris On Location Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    still editing here's another take on the flower picture
    p6087349_crop2741.jpg
    and another one..quirky expression ,but I think i like it..
    p6087687_crop1399.jpg