Options

introducing my 10-22

2»

Comments

• Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    I'm looking at the 20D in the very near future and would buy the 10-22 as my only true digital lens. Since I don't venture too far in the focal length world I would be content with just a ultra wide lens. :) For now...

Just wondering if you can post pictures of the same area at 10 then at 22?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    This was a perfectly good discussion of the properties of this very interesting lens and now it has deteriated into puke emoticons. Jeez and you a super moderator and all. Maybe I'll have to switch to FM where a more sober sense of decorum prevails and perfectly interesting topics don't degenerate into personalities and threats.

Sigh. I suppose I'm going to have to translate this ne_nau.gif It was a joke rolleyes1.gif I threatened to switch to FM umph.gif and got very personal duel.gif Then I turned right around and said that the thread had degenerated into personalities and threats rolleyes1.gif So I was making a little joke on myself there clap.gif 'cause it was the very thing I just did 1drink.gif Guess it was just not written in the right language headscratch.gif
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    What a toy! (part 2)
    I'm finding this lens to be like the gauntlets of power. Everytime I take it out, I bring back this great stuff. It really has completely changed how I look at my 20D. With this lens, it's wider than anything I have for my 1DmkII. And so much smaller and lighter! Canon really has been very clever here. Rumors are that there are some more very cool EFS offereings coming over the next few months.

With this much FOV, even basically boring scenes can be very dramatic.

19724132-L.jpg

I will try to take the lens out with a tripod and run it through its various settings sometime soon.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Sigh. I suppose I'm going to have to translate this ne_nau.gif It was a joke rolleyes1.gif I threatened to switch to FM umph.gif and got very personal duel.gif Then I turned right around and said that the thread had degenerated into personalities and threads rolleyes1.gif So I was making a little joke on myself there clap.gif 'cause it was the very thing I just did 1drink.gif Guess it was just not written in the right language headscratch.gif

hehe i told you last night i was a bit of a moron, didn't i deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    It's just too much fun. I can't restrain myself.

I cropped this quite a bit to get the flower off center.

19723980-L.jpg

ISO 400, f7.1 22mm

This was pretty crooked and also some boring stuff in it, so it is also cropped, maybe only 1/2 of the FOV:

19724761-L.jpg

ISO 400, f10, 10mm

This last as no sharpening, ulike nearly all my other posts. I think the grass is sort of a good demo of the lens itself. Maybe I'll sharpen as a plug for the tutorial.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Here is that grass shot again, unsharpened:

19724761-L.jpg

And here it is after sharpening with the techniques from my sharpening turorials:

19726081-L.jpg

Suppose they made two versions of this lens, one that produced the first image and one that produced the second. How much more would you pay?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    Hey Rutt - i don't know how I feel about that example. Grass is hard to shoot as it's hard to say where the focus is. The first time I saw the unsharp grass, I was thinking more that it was OOF than unsharp.
    ne_nau.gif

and I can't answer your question as i'd pay more if the darn thing wasn't an ef-s to begin with!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    'gus - this shot, says it all ya got a good lens there thumb.gif
    Sorry mate but thats my kit lens at 17mm ...only got the 10-22 2 days ago. I really would have liked it for the week-end though. Got some stuff lined up today though.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hehe i told you last night i was a bit of a moron, didn't i deal.gif
    Ya drongo....even i got it umph.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    I'm looking at the 20D in the very near future and would buy the 10-22 as my only true digital lens. Since I don't venture too far in the focal length world I would be content with just a ultra wide lens. :) For now...

Just wondering if you can post pictures of the same area at 10 then at 22?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Cool rob...ive nothing on me right now but im out with it today so hang in there mate...there is a small island here im walking to at low tide with the 10-22 today.
  • Options
    philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I'm finding this lens to be like the gauntlets of power. Everytime I take it out, I bring back this great stuff. It really has completely changed how I look at my 20D. With this lens, it's wider than anything I have for my 1DmkII. And so much smaller and lighter! Canon really has been very clever here. Rumors are that there are some more very cool EFS offereings coming over the next few months.
    Same here, I'm hoping that their next couple EFS lenses are a tad faster, at least a 2.8 would be nice.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Gus,

There are a lot of elabrate methods to check a lens, (no I don't know them all), but if you want to get a pretty good real world feel for your lens I might sugest you shoot during the day and use a tripod with, if possible, a remote shutter switch. Brick walls are pretty good ( the poster would be good as well) but just set up and take a number of shots using different focal lengths and aperatures. Download them to your computer and look at them. How do they compare to your other lenses? Check the center and outside edges.

If it looks good, it's good.

Oh, and I think the 35 mm focal length equivalent for 10 mm is 16 mm. But the number isn't important. It's wide!

You'll make good use of the lens in Yosemite.

Sam
    I will go & try that today some time sam. I had forgotton the 'brick wall' method. I took it to a 40th birthday party at a bowling green last night....man what it can do !! Perspective + !
  • Options
    rockyprockyp Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2005
    Yes!!!
    Humungus wrote:
    Sharp enough or do you need a day shot ? Totally untouched other than converted from RAW to Jpeg.

Man its a lot wider than i ever expected.

This 10-22 may not be the "best" lens I ever owned, but it is probably the most fun and most satisfying!

Here's Lake Crescent in NW washington State...
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    I am having great fun with it also rockyp...& thats what its about 'eh ?

19838407-M.jpg
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    I am having great fun with it also rockyp...& thats what its about 'eh ?

19838407-M.jpg
    Cool Shot
    Kewl Kite:):

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    I agree, this lens rocks. The guy down the hall here at work bought one last week. I got to fiddle w/ it yesterday and earlier today, both on his 20D and my DRebel. That guy gets all the kewl toys. First he gets the Sigma 8 and Canon 15mm fish eyes, now this! .. The upswing is he's talking of selling the Canon 15 to me for cheap! thumb.gif The downswing is I'm finding myself w/o the cash to buy it.. :cry

At any rate. Yeah, the lens is absurdly wide. Said lens' owner says he's in love w/ it in terms of color, contrast, and sharpness. He 'tested' a 17-85 IS and wasn't happy w/ it. Very poor performance at and near 17 he said. Also he got his paws on a Tamron 17-35.. that he said was outright horrible! Me, I didn't see either of the other lenses.. not that I'm a particularly great judge of such things anyway. But after fiddling w/ the 10-22 I too am impressed.

I totally understand how someone could get ahold of this lens and feel like a kid w/ his first SLR again. My favorite photos are the unique ones. Be it unique subjects, unique composition and viewing angles, unique color or lighting, or especially close (macro). The common thread is that the photo is of something or set in such a way as to be substantially different then how you'd normally see it. This wide angle lens makes that easy as it presents EVERYTHING in a radically different way..

Uber kewl I say. It's totally going on the 'wish' list..
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    I rented the 10-22 recently. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it but it did produce some interesting shots.

20519869-L.jpg
    Lots of distortion on this lens (duh...)

20519873-L.jpg
    Lots of photoshopping on this one (maybe too much)...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/