Options

Need flash help

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited June 20, 2008 in Technique
For indoor photography (family snaps, etc.), I'm pretty much "Mr. Bounce." Problem is, we've moved into a home with a wooden ceiling in the family room, as you can see below. The wood just soaks up the flash, even with compensation set to +2. Any advice on using the flash successfully without that "direct flash" look? Do I need to be looking into a diffuser of some sort? Thanks.

316069520_t2rU3-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Well Man you can still be Mr. Bounce......just use an easy to find white index card as one of the diy threads said and just raise your flash up (not totally vertical ) and use the card (rubber banded to your flash head) as the
    bouncer:D or as Ziggy53 has mentioned many times there are several DIY types of diffusers and such......me I do not have the time nor patience to try and design or build a diffuser do I bought a Lumniquest large soft box type and use it when necessary......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    I certainly think you have enough power. You might want to pay real close attention to your white balance though, coming off that wood.

Oh, and I was wondering, does the other side say "Please to Turb?"
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Well Man you can still be Mr. Bounce......just use an easy to find white index card as one of the diy threads said and just raise your flash up (not totally vertical ) and use the card (rubber banded to your flash head) as the
    bouncer:D or as Ziggy53 has mentioned many times there are several DIY types of diffusers and such......me I do not have the time nor patience to try and design or build a diffuser do I bought a Lumniquest large soft box type and use it when necessary......................

Lumiquest looks like they have some good stuff. Thanks for the pointer. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I certainly think you have enough power. You might want to pay real close attention to your white balance though, coming off that wood.

Oh, and I was wondering, does the other side say "Please to Turb?"

That photo above had the flash directed to the ceiling, and the ceiling was the subject. I guess I chose sort of a poor example for the light I normally get. When I'm taking candids of the kids (and when bouncing), I end up with almost all the light being soaked up by the wood, and very little left for the people.

Good point on the WB.

I'm thinking one of the Lumiquest products is in my future... Now to figure out which.

As to your turbing question, I don't remember! :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    That photo above had the flash directed to the ceiling, and the ceiling was the subject. I guess I chose sort of a poor example for the light I normally get. When I'm taking candids of the kids (and when bouncing), I end up with almost all the light being soaked up by the wood, and very little left for the people.

Good point on the WB.

I'm thinking one of the Lumiquest products is in my future... Now to figure out which.

As to your turbing question, I don't remember! :D

This is the Lumiquest Softbox I use.....but if you're looking at the bounce products then I would search out Ziggy53's DIY information......my reason for going with this was the light loss of only 1 1/4 stops.....most other's had at least 2-3 stops loss......just couldn't live with that for wedding photography....and at thetime of purchase it was cheap......at around $25+tax.........1/2 the price of a Fong Sphere and almost no weight at all to it...........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 19, 2008
    California Sunbounce makes a great flash reflector that can be stand mounted or handheld by a voice actuated humanoid light stand ( eg: SO )

Maybe a little more than you had in mind, but it looks like a great product to create soft Rembrandt window light, anytime, and anywhere, you need soft window light. I really need one of these myselfthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif especially if you have your strobe firing where direct light spill will hit the subjects.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited June 20, 2008
    You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums