Options

Fishing Dogs of PWS (for dog lovers only)

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
German Shorthaird Pointers (GSPs) are a versatile hunting bread. They are easily trained for pointing and retrieving birds, trailing various game, drug/bomb screening, and as companion dogs. Since we don't hunt our dogs their instinctive desire to work manifests itself in different ways, one of which is to actively participate in fishing. Their level of intelligence also shows in rather unnexpted ways.

Our two GSPs heading out fishing on Prince William Sound.

94566676.jpg

Maggie halibut fishing. She watches the rod and barks when the rod tip starts to bounce.

94567158.jpg

Success !!! Can we eat it now ?

94568051.jpg

Relaxing with a good book at the end of a long day.

94567163.jpg
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    German Shorthaird Pointers (GSPs) are a versatile hunting bread. They are easily trained for pointing and retrieving birds, trailing various game, drug/bomb screening, and as companion dogs. Since we don't hunt our dogs their instinctive desire to work manifests itself in different ways, one of which is to actively participate in fishing. Their level of intelligence also shows in rather unnexpted ways.

Our two GSPs heading out fishing on Prince William Sound.

Maggie halibut fishing. She watches the rod and barks when the rod tip starts to bounce.

Success !!! Can we eat it now ?

Relaxing with a good book at the end of a long day.

What a great story sequence clap.gif I love it clap.gif
    Your dogs take this fishing business very seriously don't they.

That's amazing how you said they watch the line and if it bounces they bark.

What are they like when your reeling in the fish?
    Do they get excited?

I've looked at these photos several times, and I can't stop smiling.
    The looks the dog's faces is just priceless rolleyes1.gif

Lovely Post thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Yes they are VERY serious about fishing. When we're reeling in a fish they get pretty excited. When it comes in the boat they feel compelled to defend us from the creature from the deep. Their level of bravery varies inversely to the size of the fish. They snap at the small ones and sit in the door of the cabin and bark at the big ones. And of course, having helped with the harvest, when fish comes off the grill at home they expect their share ne_nau.gif
    Dan

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Great shots and I am cracking up thinking of them barking at the big fish! They look like wonderful dogs. :D
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Very handsome examples of a great breed. I had a GSP about 30 years ago. They are extremely intelligent. She used to love running in the woods. At home she drove our cat crazy following him around the house and pointing at him wherever he tried to hide. :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    Maverick_BrittanyMaverick_Brittany Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Very nice looking dogs and a nice series of pictures! You brought a smile to my face with this series!

Mav....
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Glad you folks enjoyed the photos and thanks for the comments. We went fishing this past weekend and having these two along takes it to a whole different level of entertainment. We caught a fairly large halibut (66"/1.7m long) and while we were subduing it out on deck, Maggie figured she better defend the interior of the cabin. Just in case ...
    Dan