Options

An extremely old wall

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This wall exists in St.Augustine, FL. It is located in one of the oldest parts of this ancient city. Walls like this one date back to the late 1500's and early 1600's. It is made of coquina....a limestone comprised of seashell fragments and coral. This wall has evidence of efforts, in later centuries, to maintain its integrity. It kind of puts things in perspective when you realize that parts of our planet have surviving structures thousands of years old. We are a young nation.

316119125_DevFg-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    One of my favorite places in Florida! St Augustine Fort. Thank you for sharing.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Hi Don,

I'm with you. The old fort, Castillo de San Marcos, is a favorite haunt of mine. This particular wall is located about 3/4 mile from the fort, deep into the oldest part of the town. Next time you're in St.Augustine, make an effort to go to the Tradewinds bar. It's located near the old market on the bay front, right at the foot of the Bridge of Lions. Going there is an experience you won't forget.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    This wall exists in St.Augustine, FL. It is located in one of the oldest parts of this ancient city. Walls like this one date back to the late 1500's and early 1600's. It is made of coquina....a limestone comprised of seashell fragments and coral. This wall has evidence of efforts, in later centuries, to maintain its integrity. It kind of puts things in perspective when you realize that parts of our planet have surviving structures thousands of years old. We are a young nation.

Ahhhhhhh yes, I see it was constructed just a couple of years before I was born *cough * cough* rolleyes1.gif

Still standing hey after all these years, that's pretty cool indeed nod.gif

You know not only is a good shot, but you could also crop it, and file it for use as a Texture for future editing, it's got a really interesting surface clap.gif

... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for your comments. Some of the oldest buildings in St.Augustine are constructed entirely of this coquina material. They make for a wonderful adventure in the study of texture.
  • Options
    weronikaweronika Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Very interesting textures!

I like how you included the plant, too. I'd be tempted to try a closer vertical crop around the plant.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2008
    Hi Weronika.... thanks for taking a look. I like your suggestion. I'll drag up the file on this picture and try something with a vertical approach.