Options

Read-Only Maintenance 6/19/08 @ 10pm-3am PDT

WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited September 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
One of our master database machines needs more storage, so to keep it happy, we're going to pop in more tonight during the maintenance window.

We don't think it'll take long (although we could use the entire window), nor do we anticipate taking the entire site down (we'll be in read-only mode unless things don't go well). We'll do our best to keep complete downtime to a minimum.

For more info on our maintenance windows, please check out this dgrin post:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30979

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Comments

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Am I correct in assuming that this maintenance took longer than expected? Looks like I'm still in read only mode?

Just want to make sure it's site-wide and not just me. eek7.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    Am I correct in assuming that this maintenance took longer than expected? Looks like I'm still in read only mode?

Just want to make sure it's site-wide and not just me. eek7.gif
    No, in fact it took less, I believe.

Your site is working fine here:

20080620-ruqcda8n558f76x2tu51nyn5ae.jpg

Try clearing cache, closing/reopening browser, etc?
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    :bash Thanks Andy...looks like it was a cookie setting from when I upgraded to the new FF yesterday and was playing around with it. Even though I was logged in on my home page, it wouldn't keep me logged in when I navigated through my site. I've got it fixed now.
  • Options
    TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Wireless wrote:
    One of our master database machines needs more storage, so to keep it happy, we're going to pop in more tonight during the maintenance window.

We don't think it'll take long (although we could use the entire window), nor do we anticipate taking the entire site down (we'll be in read-only mode unless things don't go well). We'll do our best to keep complete downtime to a minimum.

For more info on our maintenance windows, please check out this dgrin post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30979

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience!

I'm not sure if it's me and my site, but I'm not seeing my banner. Does anyone have any advise or is it possible to take a look and give me some feedback.
    Thanks very much.
    Tom Collins
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    Tom C
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    TomCollins wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's me and my site, but I'm not seeing my banner. Does anyone have any advise or is it possible to take a look and give me some feedback.
    Thanks very much.
    Tom Collins
    Seeing it fine here,
    20080620-pcymhmx226ed95ue8ujhxjhagq.jpg

you still having the issue?
  • Options
    TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Seeing it fine here,
    20080620-pcymhmx226ed95ue8ujhxjhagq.jpg

you still having the issue?

Thank you Andy. I just fixed it and emailed you that I figured it out. My fault and sorry for having you spend the time. You guys are great.
    Tom
    Tom C
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    II thought maybe we where in read only mode as none of my photos in any of the gallerys I checkd will show any choice as to what size of image I want to see (when placing the mouse over the photo, all I get is photo info).

I have recently upgraded to FF3, but I didnt have this issue before tonight.

Did something get changed in my mass settings or something?? Cus *I* didnt make any changes like that...
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    DJKennedy wrote:
    II thought maybe we where in read only mode as none of my photos in any of the gallerys I checkd will show any choice as to what size of image I want to see (when placing the mouse over the photo, all I get is photo info).

I have recently upgraded to FF3, but I didnt have this issue before tonight.

Did something get changed in my mass settings or something?? Cus *I* didnt make any changes like that...
    We removed that from the photoBar :) Just click main image, go to lightbox and we'll automatically fill LB with the right size image. Then, in Lightbox, if you want a smaller or larger you can click the sizes up top.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We removed that from the photoBar :) Just click main image, go to lightbox and we'll automatically fill LB with the right size image. Then, in Lightbox, if you want a smaller or larger you can click the sizes up
    top.

Ah! Ok, thanks...

Was that a feature request?

Not that Im complaining, but if someone wanted to have it changed back, could they? (im not asking to have it changed back, just checking to see if we could in the future).

Might keep down the bandwidth usage from people automatically loading up larger images...maybe they wont click on the image altogether!

OK, im off to bed, have a great weekend everyone!

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Ah! Ok, thanks...

Was that a feature request?

Not that Im complaining, but if someone wanted to have it changed back, could they? (im not asking to have it changed back, just checking to see if we could in the future).

Might keep down the bandwidth usage from people automatically loading up larger images...maybe they wont click on the image altogether!

OK, im off to bed, have a great weekend everyone!
    Yes, a request to make things simpler on the viewers thumb.gif It can't be changed back by you, sorry :)
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We removed that from the photoBar :) Just click main image, go to lightbox and we'll automatically fill LB with the right size image. Then, in Lightbox, if you want a smaller or larger you can click the sizes up top.

I'm not sure I like this. I liked it better when the sizes were discoverable on mouseover. Now, people don't know there are larger sizes unless they actually click the image, which many may never do if they're only clicking for navigation.

In addition, I'm seeing some strange behavior in some galleries. Try this: Take a SmugMug style gallery and go into Customize. Turn off Camera Info, turn off Original size (to disable Save Photo), and use JavaScript to disable PhotoRank. Do you now get an empty sliver of the slideout appearing on mouseover? This might have happened before the last changes, but I'm just now noticing it.

Also, this may be unrelated, but thumbnails in All Thumbs and Traditional styles are now un-clickable in IE7 only (need to try IE6 when I get to that machine). Other links on the page are OK, and thumbnails in other gallery styles are OK. If this is unrelated to recent changes, I'll start a separate thread.

Finally, what is SmugVault? No info about it turns up in Dgrin or Google searches, and choosing it hung the page, so I Back-ed out of it.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Finally, what is SmugVault? No info about it turns up in Dgrin or Google searches, and choosing it hung the page, so I Back-ed out of it.
    We're working very hard on that right now. :D

That link hung up on me the first time I tried it, which I think means the page it's taking you to on Amazon is loading slowly. We're investigating. The second time I tried it, it went right through and we see others have signed up.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    That link hung up on me the first time I tried it, which I think means the page it's taking you to on Amazon...

Now what on Amazon would have to do with a "SmugVault," unless...waitaminnit, Amazon rents out storage...SmugMug already uses...uh...whoa...better to wait for your explanation, it sounds good! :D

In other news, I just verified that the dead thumbnail links in Traditional/All Thumbs happens in both IE6 and IE7. You can verify this by using IE6 or IE7 to go to:
    http://www.smugmug.com/popular/all
    and changing the Style menu to Traditional or All Thumbs.
    These styles are no problem in Firefox or Safari.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Now what on Amazon would have to do with a "SmugVault," unless...waitaminnit, Amazon rents out storage...SmugMug already uses...uh...whoa...better to wait for your explanation, it sounds good! :D

It is. thumb.gif

Details: http://www.smugmug.com/help/smugvault
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    whoa...better to wait for your explanation, it sounds good! :D.
    Here's mine. mwink.gif
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I think I like it... haven't quite decided yet. But I definitely like the "save photo" feature when logged in! Thanks!

Dave
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    pilotdave wrote:
    I think I like it... haven't quite decided yet. But I definitely like the "save photo" feature when logged in! Thanks!

Dave

I've been waiting for this a while and remember you said it was a good idea when I put it on the features request... so thanks for listening!!! Made my day!!!

Only odd thing I notice from the recent changes is that the hover over photo doesn't display available viewing sizes now... will it display for someone not logged in? The only way I got to the sizes was by making the lightbox pop up and then clicking from the top there.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I've been waiting for this a while and remember you said it was a good idea when I put it on the features request... so thanks for listening!!! Made my day!!!

Only odd thing I notice from the recent changes is that the hover over photo doesn't display available viewing sizes now... will it display for someone not logged in? The only way I got to the sizes was by making the lightbox pop up and then clicking from the top there.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97390
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Thanks. You forgot to mention SmugVault over there :)
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    headscratch.gif well, we're letting you guys find some things, eh?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    And guess which 3d party app already supports SmugVault? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Good stuff!! Don't suppose I can transfer my current Amazon S3 storage to Smugvault can I?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    paulbrock wrote:
    Good stuff!! Don't suppose I can transfer my current Amazon S3 storage to Smugvault can I?
    No, I'm afraid not :)
  • Options
    MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Mine is in read only mode and it's 6:16AM, is it supposed to be? www.auphoto.net
    Michelle
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    MRudland wrote:
    Mine is in read only mode and it's 6:16AM, is it supposed to be? www.auphoto.net
    Michelle

Mine is too but "...The Sorcerers of Smug are adding new magic right now..." so I wouldnt worry thumb.gif

Derek